• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

motorcycle shopping

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
Street bikes though, I need a dual sport type bike like above.
Got it. I used to have a Honda XL500. Loved that machine, but it was sometimes hard to start. No electric, just kick. It did have a couple quality problems too, which surprised me for a Honda. Gave it up in favor of a CB750.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
It would be nice if Polaris, Arctic Cat, etc got into the adventure/dual sport market. I could see them doing quite well after some of the tech they've developed with side by sides and snowmobiles, 4-wheelers and street bikes. I would love to buy a domestic bike of this type.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I dunno if there is a domestic motorcycle that I could bring myself to own. :puzzled:

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I dunno if there is a domestic motorcycle that I could bring myself to own. :puzzled:
Same here but I think some of the MN companies could make a good one if they wanted to. Don't know why they have to make only throwback bikes.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm assuming unions, the EPA, and the appeal of throwing $4k worth of junk together and selling it as a $40k "chopper" kind of ruins the chances of having an American manufacturer make a decent non-Harley styled bike.

I once heard that the average supersport m/c that sells for ~$12k new has about $10k worth of R&D in it. That doesn't leave a lot of room for profit. I expect that an American made competitor would have to cost $20k+ to be viable.

Stu Cozza

is Good for America
Choose low center of gravity over just "light". Even if dropped, a Gold Wing (aka, "Gold Card") or full dressed hog can be put back upright by a 90 lb. woman, if done properly. A light weight bike will rattle the dentures on bumps; a heavier bike with low CoG = comfort & handling.