• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Detached Garage/Shop

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Friend had plumbing/electrical roughed in, then covered by the slab so he didn't have to get it inspected :clapping:

That way he could dig it out after final and do the stuff himself

I have an outdoor shower, kinda. It is not hooked into the drain plumbing, but has hot water and a handheld sprayer and standing on concrete slab...it is awesome being able to go wash off outside after mowing, or wash the dogs, car, rinse off paintbrushes when its freezing outside, etc.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
My shop is 40'x50'

Cost me $50,000.

$27,500 for the building
$3,500 for electrical setup; (meter pole and square D panel / trenching - I did shop interior myself)
$8,600 building erection
$11,500 for concrete

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
To be brutally honest, your builder is embellishing.
I think his theory is based on quality work and experienced crews. In our discussion he mentioned how the subs would be booked up on higher paying (residential) construction and unwilling to do the lower price/ft shop building unless they were already on site, resulting in higher prices for the labor if doing a stand alone garage build.

I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had time to follow up with him to hear what is sub was quoting for a shop build. My time should be a little better towards the end of the month and hopefully we'll be closer to actually breaking ground on the build.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
My shop is 40'x50'

Cost me $50,000.

$27,500 for the building
$3,500 for electrical setup; (meter pole and square D panel / trenching - I did shop interior myself)
$8,600 building erection
$11,500 for concrete

LOL..."erection"

:jump:

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
I think his theory is based on quality work and experienced crews. In our discussion he mentioned how the subs would be booked up on higher paying (residential) construction and unwilling to do the lower price/ft shop building unless they were already on site, resulting in higher prices for the labor if doing a stand alone garage build.

I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had time to follow up with him to hear what is sub was quoting for a shop build. My time should be a little better towards the end of the month and hopefully we'll be closer to actually breaking ground on the build.
In my mind, the crew building a home would not be the same crew building a shop.

If you go with a free-span, red-iron metal building it's completely different... A wood, pole-barn - while close is still different enough....??? Shrug

slideways

Friend had plumbing/electrical roughed in, then covered by the slab so he didn't have to get it inspected :clapping:

That way he could dig it out after final and do the stuff himself
Me too lol... My dad is a construction official so he knew well ahead what to expect. 2" PVC pipes from my basement to the corner sticking up labeled "future" for water/electric for the inspection. He was there when the 3rd party the town uses was out and the lady said "and since its a preexisting building now you dont need permits for the electric". He's like ok sounds good. :D

I'd post a pic but dont feel like making photobucket etc..
My Quote is as follows: 24x28x8 w one entry and 1 overhead $6500
Extra overhead $510
1ft overhang on front $448
1ft overhang on rear $384
5" 3500psi concrete $2016
Out of area charge $420

With all the minor shit $10,488.

Ardvark

I'd do 30 deep and 40 wide and then make my own trusses Poured concrete 8' walls and floor

Get some friends to set the trusses and roof and shingle it

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm thinking I should hold out for 30x40 even if I have to build it myself. I'm thinking 30x40 pad, 3' of block around the perimeter, 12' framed walls, manufactured trusses, one double door, one single door, single walkout door, overhang on one side for tractor & lawn stuff, sound insulated room for compressor, and enough slab thickness for a two post lift.

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
Interesting. My builder claims that I'll never be able to build a garage as cheaply as I can get it built when building the house.... unless I build it myself. I think there is some truth to that, unless times are slow.

We'll see what his carpenter says. At minimum, I'm going to have him pour the slab and rough in the electrical. I can build it myself if I have to. 84 Lumber sells a 32x40 kit for under $10k.

http://www.84homes.84lumber.com/Garage%20prices.pdf
I wonder if the last one on the list (2 car studio) could be turned into a bank barn? Even though I have 11 acres, that is about the only style detached building can really put in.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I wouldn't bet on it. I suspect you're going to be limited to a full block main floor. Or at least 3/4. If i were building such, I'd likely make it 3 levels to take advantage of the landscape.

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
I wouldn't bet on it. I suspect you're going to be limited to a full block main floor. Or at least 3/4. If i were building such, I'd likely make it 3 levels to take advantage of the landscape.
I'd want two levels. The bottom to be high enough that if someday I have enough $$$, I can put a lift in. The top make into my home office, just would need to run some cat 6 over to get innerwebs :D.