• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Possibly the last person on earth to try linux

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
color me underwhelmed.

I don't understand the hoopla, but at least it was free.

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
What distribution? What were you expecting? What do you want to do with it?

There is a learning curve....
Mint

I dunno, that it would do the dishes and make me a sammich?

Old desktop I want to set up for the 8 yr old. They do a lot of internet educational games and stuff at school stuff at school and he wants do them at home. Everything he does runs in chrome, so it should be good.

Mint is a good one for transitioning from Windows. There are a number of Linux users here, so if you have any questions just ask. If he runs into web page problems or incompatibilities just remember that IIRC Mint comes with Chromium (the open source version), not Chrome. Chrome gets you a more up to date built-in version of flash plus better codec support for things like HTML5.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
In one of my calculus classes, we used a computer running Linux to run a Reimann sum approximation of an integral in 10,000,000 subintervals and utilized the trapezoidal rule method. There were several comp sci majors in my class and as an experiment, they ran the same approximation on a similarly built Windows machine. The Windows machine crashed, but the Linux machine chugged through and furnished an answer. IIRC it was a Red Hat version of some sort.

Last edited:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Historically, Linux would make an older computer seem like it's running faster. Less bloat, less overhead. I'm not sure that's still the case as most distros are fairly bloated and no exactly screaming compared to modern Windows.

I don't even think I've ever even seen a computer running Linux.
Ever seen an Android phone?

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Historically, Linux would make an older computer seem like it's running faster. Less bloat, less overhead. I'm not sure that's still the case as most distros are fairly bloated and no exactly screaming compared to modern Windows.
Depending on the distro you're using, you can get rid of 'most' of the bloat....especially if you don't need a GUI. :2cents:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Depending on the distro you're using, you can get rid of 'most' of the bloat....especially if you don't need a GUI. :2cents:
That defeats the purpose for most non-server consumer uses.

There are light weight alternatives to KDE and Gnome. They might not have the visual bells and whistles, but if you have an older PC that is struggling with KDE/Gnome you still have options.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP

Ever seen an Android phone?
Forgot about that. My work phone is android.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I run Mint on my main work computer. I have Win 10 installed in an Oracle Virtual Box in case I need anything, but that's incredibly rare. Mint is very noticeably faster than Win 10 on the same machine, and since the majority of my job revolves around Oracle the unix core makes my life a lot easier. I wouldn't really recommend it to a general user, though. It's close, but still not 100% user friendly for folks that don't know what they're doing. Once running and configured the way you want it this shit is the bee's knees for someone who does computer shit for a living.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
FWIW, Steam Machines, aka SteamOS, is Linux.
Does anyone actually have those? I've kind of considered it but not enough to actually do it. I have the Steam controller (AWESOME, BTW) and run Steam on my Linux and Windows machines, but don't love it enough to try making a dedicated machine. Can't say I know anyone that has, although I'm sure those people exist.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Can a Linux machine run office applications which communicate with ge rest of the business world? Outlook for example.