• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

ASUS G750JX stuck on Republic of Gamers boot screen spinning icon - Solved

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
So it's the middle of the night, Windows 10 didn't tell me it needed to reboot else I would have done it manually because as always I have 15 things open and middle of the night reboots just aren't for me.

My laptop is an ASUS G750JX-DB71 and it was stuck on the initial ASUS Republic of Gamers boot screen that under normal boot conditions I see for a second or two tops. But this time it was just stuck with the circle going round and round.

At first I wait in case the cord had come out or something and the computer was going into hibernation or something or something more low level was updating though I knew that wouldn't happen naturally.

Finally I had enough, I held down the power button to shut it off. Let it stay off a few seconds and turned it back on hoping it would reboot. It didn't. Stuck on same screen.

Panic begins to set in. Everything is backed up but the expense of a new laptop and the disruption it would be in my life right now :panic: I google the symptoms on my phone and nothing comes back makes me optimistic.

So I power down again. Remove all USB connections. Eject an SD card I had in. Pull the power cord, turn over, remove the battery. Wait a few minutes, put battery back, then power cord, and try booting again.

This time I see the Asus Republic of Gamers screen but some text on the bottom I've never seen before. Something about Detecting Problems, Attempting to Repair, then it booted to the familiar Windows is Updating your Computer screen, quickly changed to saying the Windows update had failed and was being rolled back.

I had to put in my password. Half the apps I had open tried to start. Close them all. In my update history now is the error message at the top of this post.

2017-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 of amd64-based Systems (KB4048955) Failed to install 0x800f0845

This update was the apparent culprit. First time in 4 years a Windows update needed to be rolled back. Wouldn't have been so scary if I knew Windows was going to try to update.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I never turned it off, but it was off. I used to get notices before restarts for months.