• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Small laptop thoughts?

Time for a new laptop. Looking for something under $700, ~14" screen and best gaming possible within those limits. I realize going with a 15.6" screen would be a better bang for the buck. I also realize under $700 is NOT going to be a top notch gaming laptop.

The best two options I found are:
Acer Laptop Aspire E5-473G-56XS Intel Core i5 5200U Windows 10 Home 64-Bit - Newegg.com
Amazon.com Lenovo Z41-70 - 80K5005GU Laptop Computer S - Black - 5th Generation Intel Core i7-5500U (2.40GHz 1600MHz 4MB) Computers Accessories

Of the two I'm leaning heavily toward the Lenovo, but I thought I'd throw it out to JUOT for other ideas or to weigh in on these two.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The first one has horrible resolution- 1366 x 768

The second one doesn't seem to mention resolution at all and worse, Operating System is listed as "other." There is a serious lack of details on what you're buying.

That said the specs of the second are much better. Even a small SSD drive for the Operating System will give you near instant boot-ups.

But it does lack a touch-screen. I would try to find a touch-screen if you can.

The first one has horrible resolution- 1366 x 768

The second one doesn't seem to mention resolution at all and worse, Operating System is listed as "other." There is a serious lack of details on what you're buying.

That said the specs of the second are much better. Even a small SSD drive for the Operating System will give you near instant boot-ups.

But it does lack a touch-screen. I would try to find a touch-screen if you can.
1366x768 doesn't bother me for a 14" screen. The full 1080p of the second one is better, but that alone isn't enough to sway me. My current 14" laptop is also 1366x768 and it seems fine.

The second one lists "16 GB Memory, Windows 10 Home 64"

Don't want touch screen. It's not a tablet, I have no desire to use it as a tablet.

Yes Justin, I already pointed out that a laptop in this price range isn't a great gaming rig. I'm not a big gamer, Diablo 3 is about as demanding as it gets. I just want some headroom for possible future games or for when my kids borrow it.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/z-series/z41/

Here's one available with discrete grapfics, 1920x1080 display, i7, 8gb, 1tb/128gb hybrid drive. $650.
That's showing as sold out. It also has a Radeon R7 instead of the R9 in the one I linked. Honestly though, I don't follow gfx cards so for all I know R7 vs R9 might be like comparing nVidia 800 series to 900 series. The 900 may be newer, but a GTX 880m is several times faster than a 920m.

One other possibility. It looks snazzy, has better speakers, and is the next gen i5 (for the $699 model). Downside is it has half the memory at 8G (assuming easy upgrade) and the HD doesn't appear to be a hybrid (not sure how to upgrade without Win 10 install media).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwi18e6PmtfKAhVJ42MKHYYDAREQFgg_MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.lenovo.com%2Fus%2Fen%2Flaptops%2Fideapad%2Fy700-series%2Fy700-14-inch%2F&usg=AFQjCNFM0ernzTbbtrZaNVJsc0sT_onr8w&sig2=xdp3-xd3EcYLjzl2CPc39w&bvm=bv.113034660,d.cGc&cad=rja

I actually like this one better. The backlit keyboard is a big plus, as is the next gen cpu.

I'm surprised more of you are not jumping in with suggestions.