• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Thoughts on this Camera Bundle? (Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR)

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Amazon.com Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm EF-S f3.5-5.6 IS II Lens + 58mm Wide Angle Lens + 2x Telephoto Lens + Flash + 48GB SD Memory Card + UV Filter Kit + Tripod + Full Accessory Bundle Camera Photo

$459

includes:
  • Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera Body -18-55mm EF-S f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens - 58mm High Definition Wide Angle Lens & 58mm 2x Professional Telephoto Lens
  • Transcend 32GB SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card - Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card - Vivitar Digital Camera SLR DC59 Large Gadget Bag - Photo Video Quality Tripod
  • Digital DSLR Auto Power Slave Flash - RS-60 Remote Switch for Canon - 3 Piece UV Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD) 58mm - Hi-Speed SD USB Card Reader - 58mm Ultraviolet UV Protector Filter - Memory Card Wallet - LCD Screen Protectors (Clear) - Table Top Tripod - 3 Piece Cleaning Kit - Lens Cap Holder
  • 18MP APS-C CMOS Sensor DIGIC 4+ Image Processor 3.0" 920k-Dot LCD Monitor Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps 9-Point AF with Center Cross-Type Point Extended ISO 12800, 3 fps Shooting Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC Scene Intelligent Auto Mode Basic+ and Creative Auto Modes

Something better out there for the price? I have to buy on behalf of an organization, or at least, make a suggestion. Not going to be doing professional shots but want something better than a point and shoot.

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
Add-on wide and telephoto converters are crap, better to pay for the bundle with the Canon 75-300 and the 18-55. Perfectly adequate camera and lenses for general purpose shooting, not going to win any awards.

The thing you have to be careful of is whether the Canon equipment is grey-market or not, Canon USA will not cover warranty on grey market equipment. (same with Nikon AFAIK)

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
They advertised American warranties which I thought was weird.
I took some time and read through the 1,2,3 star reviews on that package:

Accessories are junk is a common theme, but the complaints about the battery and charger tell me they've probably swapped the Canon units out with Chinese crap. I've never had an issue with a Canon battery or charger, ever. My old 30D is 10 yrs old now, battery and charger still work like they did day one and that camera sits unused for months on end.

Buy from B&H:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1238183-REG/canon_1159c003_eos_rebel_t6_dslr.html

Or get it direct from Canon USA's online store.

Add-on wide and telephoto converters are crap, better to pay for the bundle with the Canon 75-300 and the 18-55. Perfectly adequate camera and lenses for general purpose shooting, not going to win any awards.

The thing you have to be careful of is whether the Canon equipment is grey-market or not, Canon USA will not cover warranty on grey market equipment. (same with Nikon AFAIK)
Not true with Canon. My 1dx and 5d4 are both grey market. Both have been serviced by Canon under warranty and through Canon CPS. There is no physical difference between grey market Canon and that bought through authorized retailers. My 1dx came in the same box as my buddies 1dx. The only difference is the warranty card and the fact that I paid $2000 less. I registered it with Canon and CPS the day I got it. According to the Canon techs I talked to they have no way to tell the difference except looking at the warranty card, but they don't ask for them at any point. Once I learned that, I only buy grey market. If for someone they did deny coverage, the money I saved would cover any repairs. When my 5d Mark III fell off the wing of a P-38 during a shoot, it cost $420 for a new LCD and replacement shutter.

As for the camera, the Rebel T6 is decent. Honestly, the glass is far more import than the camera body. Ditch the bundle and buy the Canon 50F1.8 and 50-250 along with the kit lens and you'll be happy.