• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Has anyone mentioned Verizons attempts to kill the internet?

neevo

Limey Hippo
Couple of interesting, yet scary articles on Verizon's attempts to control what it's customers can and cant see

Landmark Verizon ‘Net Neutrality’ Case Tests Open Internet Rules.
Verizon argues that the FCC's net neutrality rules violate the telecom giant's First Amendment rights
Landmark Verizon Case Tests Open Internet Rules | TIME.com

“Verizon vs. FCC presents a very significant historical moment,” says Susan Crawford, a tech policy expert and professor at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law “The question presented by the case is: Does the U.S. government have any role in ensuring ubiquitous, open, world-class, interconnected, reasonably priced Internet access?”

What if Verizon succeeds in killing the Internet?
Poor Verizon, its free speech is being violated by laws and competition. Won't someone think of the children?

What if Verizon succeeds in killing the Internet? | Data Center - InfoWorld

And now, Verizon is claiming it has free speech rights to limit and block content flowing from the Internet to its customers. That stance is so ridiculous that the lawyers responsible for cooking up that one should either be canonized or jettisoned into space. I'm not sure which.
However, this is happening. Verizon is making a big push to begin actively blocking content and competition from its network. This is a bald-faced attack on the Internet in general. It's abhorrent

And if they win it wont be long before companies elsewhere will try the same. We'll all have to move to S.Korea to get a decent connection :eek:

Imagine having no access to Facebook unless you pony up $20/mth, or Youtube and can you imagine what will happen to internet based companies like Amazon that may have to pay Verizon to allow them to not be restricted too because that will be another step

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Basically this kind of stuff was inevitable... Bandwidth costs money and we're used to "unlimited" bandwidth, at least on home accounts.

Business emails, important things, have to compete for the same bandwidth as watching a youtube video of someone lighting their farts on fire... And that video in HD probably takes up 10 times the bandwidth as more "important" / "legitimate" traffic. Youtube only pays for their own servers and their own bandwidth to connect to the internet- but their content gets carried over the multi-billion-dollar networks of other companies who don't make a dime off someone watching a video- I understand to a point how they feel. YouTube couldn't make money without *MY* expensive network and equipment, why should they get a free ride?

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
We are allowed a tiny amount of bandwidth compared to Asian countries. Their argument is bunk.

neevo

Limey Hippo
Basically this kind of stuff was inevitable... Bandwidth costs money and we're used to "unlimited" bandwidth, at least on home accounts.

Business emails, important things, have to compete for the same bandwidth as watching a youtube video of someone lighting their farts on fire... And that video in HD probably takes up 10 times the bandwidth as more "important" / "legitimate" traffic. Youtube only pays for their own servers and their own bandwidth to connect to the internet- but their content gets carried over the multi-billion-dollar networks of other companies who don't make a dime off someone watching a video- I understand to a point how they feel. YouTube couldn't make money without *MY* expensive network and equipment, why should they get a free ride?
But surely the heaviest uses of YT are out of business hours when people ar relaxing at home so the 2 shouldnt conflict so much and it's better for Verizon to have home use providing another income stream than just businesses being able to afford the bandwidth?

And was the 1st Amendment created for businesses or individuals? I thought it was aimed at joe public not joe Incorporated's free speech

neevo

Limey Hippo
We are allowed a tiny amount of bandwidth compared to Asian countries. Their argument is bunk.
We only seem to get limited speeds at times of heaviest use but out-of-hours it is full speed unlimited downloads. I can understand that even if it is frustrating at times but to make me pay for specific site access is a bit much

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Having just been in Germany and Austria I was amazed at how unbelievably stingy they are with WIFI. It's also $20.50/megabyte on the phone. Brick shitting to shut off data to avoid the legendary $2000 phone bills from data.

neevo

Limey Hippo
Having just been in Germany and Austria I was amazed at how unbelievably stingy they are with WIFI. It's also $20.50/megabyte on the phone. Brick shitting to shut off data to avoid the legendary $2000 phone bills from data.
It's one of the reasons I have not gone for a smartphone a I would doubtless overdo my bandwidth limits and get extra billing. A std mobile with a pay as yo go contract keeps me in check

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
And was the 1st Amendment created for businesses or individuals? I thought it was aimed at joe public not joe Incorporated's free speech
Perhaps you shouldn't concern yourself with what our amendments mean as you clearly don't understand them.

They have 11ty billions of bandwidth. We dont
Do those governments subsidize their internet backbones? This is a legit question, I don't know but I suspect they do.

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
Preamble to internet war over the decentralization of TV content. The effort will fail due to the fact that Verizon receives governmental protection from competition.

neevo

Limey Hippo
Perhaps you shouldn't concern yourself with what our amendments mean as you clearly don't understand them.
Care to explain and correct me or are you just criticising for the sake of it and lack the skills (or ability) to educate me :shrug:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
UK is on the verge of making everyone "Opt in" to adult sites and even web forums (they are on the ban list) and neevo is complaining about our 1st amendment :jump:

neevo

Limey Hippo
UK is on the verge of making everyone "Opt in" to adult sites and even web forums (they are on the ban list) and neevo is complaining about our 1st amendment :jump:
Still struggling to explain your own Constitution I see, you prefer to confirm your ignorance by insulting rather than educating. Not that anyone expects much more of you

We dont have any silly amendments as our rights have evolved throughout history, and many of which have been copied by other countries but they are lesser ones and hence not worth y of mention :tiphat:

It's a one off opt-in, if it ever comes about and it is intended to help protect kids from the likes of you. I have no problem with it but I can follow instructions so need not be scared that my internet life will diminish :shrug:

Socrates Rules

Sage
VIP
But surely the heaviest uses of YT are out of business hours when people ar relaxing at home so the 2 shouldnt conflict so much and it's better for Verizon to have home use providing another income stream than just businesses being able to afford the bandwidth?

Real countries have more then one time zone.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
LOL @ Brit "rights".

Yeah..... our amendments grew out of experience with your rights. We can't be jailed for unpopular opinions thanks to the 1st.

Oh, and the Bill of Rights really is less about granting rights to individuals or their incorporated selves and more about restricting the government.