• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

2015 Ford F-150

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
Me neither. Maybe a few decades ago, but Aluminum isn't exotic or hard to manufacture/work with these days. Big deal. My problem would be not being able to stick my magnetic beer coozie to the side of my truck :(
Very true, but if this is Ford's first car with aluminium body panels, one could say that some Ford body shops might not have the technical expertise to do said repairs.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
now all of the meth head scrappers will be stealing fenders and tailgates instead of gutters and siding.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
With all the EPA regs coming up concerning fuel economy those shops better start training their people to deal with new shit.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
With all the EPA regs coming up concerning fuel economy those shops better start training their people to deal with new shit.
Cars are becoming disposable after even a minor accident. Modern vehicles just can't be repaired to be like new again.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Cars are becoming disposable after even a minor accident. Modern vehicles just can't be repaired to be like new again.
I witnessed an accident the otherday that looked like the dude in the car should have been dead 10 times over. Driver got out and assessed the damage and called 911 I assume. Total loss but amazing safety.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
16.1 M new vehicles sold in 2013

700K of them being F Series trucks....4% and only 10% of shops equipped to work aluminum. Hmmm.....

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium

700K of them being F Series trucks....4% and only 10% of shops equipped to work aluminum. Hmmm.....
Equipped is not the same as certified. You bolt and glue body panels in place now. Nobody fixes dents. Take a look at an F150. Find a body part you have to do welding to replace. Go learn to weld aluminum - you'll see it's as easy as sheet steel. It just takes a different wire and knob setting in the MIG world.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP

Nearly every single manufacturer has models that already use aluminum hoods, fenders, lift gates, etc.

So now that all those pieces are on 1 vehicle the world end? :panic:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Nearly every single manufacturer has models that already use aluminum hoods, fenders, lift gates, etc.

So now that all those pieces are on 1 vehicle the world end? :panic:
:werd: Girl at work got hail damage on her IS - aluminum hood, roof, and trunk lid. They stuck new bits in place just like they were steel, she paid her $500 deductible, the total bill was about what you'd expect :shrug: