• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Kitchen Remodel Thread v2

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
What was your lead time on the granite? I think my project would be a 2 week deal if I weren't replacing the tile. Unfortunately, there really isn't any way around that.
The granite takes a week. You call them out and they measure using a really cool CAD system and they return a week later to install it.

Cabinets took 5 weeks. Placed the order on Dec 29.

For resale/creating a rental - do an over-the-range microwave.... convenient spot for one...

For your own house, they are ghetto and they suck. I cannot imagine wanting one.
I like my over the range microwave. Granted, if my kitchen was laid out differently I'd rather have one integrated into the cabinets and a proper range hood, but the way things are it makes sense where it is.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The granite takes a week. You call them out and they measure using a really cool CAD system and they return a week later to install it.

Cabinets took 5 weeks. Placed the order on Dec 29.
Hmm. May have to adjust my timeline a bit.... 5 weeks on cabs would really suck since I probably won't be able to order until mid-late February.

Lowes quoted me 30 days lead time on granite, but I suspect the locally owned granite place will be faster. Going to see if I can get them to come give me a quote soonish.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
May go the weekend of 2/14 or 2/21 with an updated drawing of the kitchen with wall dimensions rather than counter dimensions like the one in the first post and see what we can do.
If you come up this way, let me know. that Ikea isn't too far from my house, though personally, I wouldn't go with them. Their stuff doesn't hold up well.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
I like my over the range microwave. Granted, if my kitchen was laid out differently I'd rather have one integrated into the cabinets and a proper range hood, but the way things are it makes sense where it is.
My kitchen is small - so space a premium... Yet I still pulled mine from above the range and replaced with regular vent-hood..... Using counter top microwave instead....

I hate it so much, I would go out to my garage and use the microwave there before I'd go back to an over-the-range unit.

Ardvark

also if you put a pot filler in without a disposal i'll totally ignore this thread and petition Joe to remove it

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
If you come up this way, let me know. that Ikea isn't too far from my house, though personally, I wouldn't go with them. Their stuff doesn't hold up well.
Will do. I'm not worried about longevity myself, but I know a couple people that have been really happy with IKEA cabs. It really comes down to price. I simply can't afford to spend $10-15k in cabinets. I'm fine doing it myself, but really need to get down into the $5k range if at all possible. I'll be thrilled if I can keep this project under $15k.

your kitchen is small enough you should go IKEA now and get the closeouts
My kitchen is small? :puzzled:

My kitchen is small - so space a premium... Yet I still pulled mine from above the range and replaced with regular vent-hood..... Using counter top microwave instead....

I hate it so much, I would go out to my garage and use the microwave there before I'd go back to an over-the-range unit.
Wait, so an over the range built-in microwave is ghetto but having one sit on your counter isn't? :puzzled:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
If I were designing my own kitchen, I'd have the gas cooktop on the island with a proper hood. Kind of hard to put an OTR microwave hanging from the ceiling.

Ardvark

My kitchen is small?
Didn't mean to insult you but 54 lf of cabinets should be in stock and you can get a decent deal if you are flexible

IM hoping to start mine in summer and I looked at IKEA but I need over 80 LF so I chose to wait for the new line

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Didn't mean to insult you but 54 lf of cabinets should be in stock and you can get a decent deal if you are flexible
Not insulted. Just surprised. I have a hard time imagining a much larger kitchen. Cabinet space is probably a poor measure of the size. The pantry rivals most walk in closets.

IM hoping to start mine in summer and I looked at IKEA but I need over 80 LF so I chose to wait for the new line
I can't get started before 2/14, will see what they have when I go visit. That'll be my last stop in terms of cabinet shopping and I'll be making a decision at that point.

You will get ripped buying cabinets from Lowes/HD. Box cabinets are a bitch to install if you actually care about the results. I made both of these mistakes and if I ever do it again I will have a custom cabinet guy do the job.

Good luck keeping it under $15k! I don't see it being possible with any decent quality.

Last edited:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
What do you mean "box cabinets"? My plan is to install myself, though I'm still going to get quotes for them both ways a reference point.
Cabinets you receive in cardboard boxes, unpackage and install. They are of standard sizes and mass produced. Face framed example - Masco Corporation. Frameless example - RSI.