• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

The end of Article IFRAMEs on JUOT

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Members,

4 or 5 years ago I implemented "Article IFRAMES" as a means to allow convenient viewing of off-site articles and blogs while still allowing the original publishers to generate ad views (and revenue.) I suggested this in place of the old way of pasting an entire article into the forum.

The internet and the way we browse it has changed however in these last few years. Now virtually every site has self playing videos and/or advertisements that can really slow down the page and make for a poor browsing experience. The list of sites I had to blacklist because they would "hijack" the browser was ever growing. Even if they don't hijack or play annoying video when browsing on a mobile device the IFRAMEs are at best, useless.

I have finally decided to end the Article IFRAMEs completely. Existing Article Icon BBCodes will be replaced with a basic link with a newspaper icon. Going forward please do not use the [ARTICLE] BBCode. Instead just paste the link into the post as normal and the system will automatically try to grab the title of the article to be the link. If you want to copy a short paragraph or other "teaser" that would be appreciated but please refrain from copying entire articles if they are copyright by some other site, and they usually are. Thank You -The Management

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
who the hell is this "the management" asshole? did you have permission to copy and paste his entire post?

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'm glad it's gone, honestly. But I understand the initial need back then.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
I'm glad it's gone, honestly. But I understand the initial need back then.
I hated it when it'd open a 20' long browser window showing all the article comments, ads, etc. That crap took forever to load completely and crashed my browser now and then.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I hated it when it'd open a 20' long browser window showing all the article comments, ads, etc. That crap took forever to load completely and crashed my browser now and then.
I did implement an option that would allow people to turn it off since some people were complaining.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I hated surfing on my iPad and people would use it and it wouldn't put a link to the actual article. Never got to see those...