• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Front Door

Meh

Born-Again Hawaiian
VIP
Steel or fiberglass?

Want to replace our leaky 70's wood door. It will be pre-hung with frame. What's good for 100+ degree weather?

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
I've got two leaky 1920s entry doors I need to replace. Keep putting it off but it needs attention ASAP.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Whatever you get don't paint it black. Ours is fiberglass painted black and the paint is always in need of replacement. Unnecessary pain in the ass.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Whatever you get don't paint it black. Ours is fiberglass painted black and the paint is always in need of replacement. Unnecessary pain in the ass.
Check door manuf. specs. The ones we always bought prefinished from our door vendor, they 100% refused to paint black. They'd paint any color, but black. Black is not approved as a finish color per the manuf.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
wonder why that is?

And who would want a BLACK door in the first place?

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Check door manuf. specs. The ones we always bought prefinished from our door vendor, they 100% refused to paint black. They'd paint any color, but black. Black is not approved as a finish color per the manuf.
Yep.

wonder why that is?

And who would want a BLACK door in the first place?
Expansion/contraction due to heat retention.

My wife.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
If it's exposed to weather, pay the extra $50-$60 for synthetic jambs/head/brick molding. It's HDPE and is impervious to weather. We switched all of our orders to this on all exterior doors after a claim from a client in Canada. All 164 of the exterior deck doors were ****ed after one winter.

Meh

Born-Again Hawaiian
VIP
I'm reading all over tha webz that companies won't warranty a black door. I bet it would warp the fawk outta fiberglass, even in the morning. Ours gets first light; probably why the old one keeps cracking even after I fill it. "Desert Rose" - It's pink. :ghey:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I'm reading all over tha webz that companies won't warranty a black door. I bet it would warp the fawk outta fiberglass, even in the morning. Ours gets first light; probably why the old one keeps cracking even after I fill it. "Desert Rose" - It's pink. :ghey:
Yeah. What is the "filling" material, caulking?

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
If it's exposed to weather, pay the extra $50-$60 for synthetic jambs/head/brick molding. It's HDPE and is impervious to weather. We switched all of our orders to this on all exterior doors after a claim from a client in Canada. All 164 of the exterior deck doors were ****ed after one winter.
Yes... please use as much of this as possible.