• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

TJ Water Pump

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Wednesday night I had to change the water pump on the TJ for what must be the 10th time since I've owned the vehicle. Surprisingly it appears that the WP was under warranty from when I purchased it back in 2011 when I swapped it in from the wrecked ZJ: TJ Engine Replacement Project - JUOT - Joes Ultimate Off Topic

That's 4 years and about 27k miles. I'm actually surprised the engine has lasted this long considering that it was a 180k mile poorly maintained POS in the first place. Granted I have to run 20w50 to keep oil pressure up when warm and idling. Anyway, I digress.

I've been losing a little coolant for a while now. Could get a faint whiff from outside from time to time but never could find the source. I swapped the heater core before we moved (June 2015 IIRC), so I figured it was the water pump. Wednesday afternoon I noticed a small puddle had formed by the time I left my eye doc (20 minutes) after picking up my new glasses. Hit up Autozone on the way home for a new water pump and verified that I had coolant running down the lower radiator hose when I got home. I also picked up something I'd not used before. Gasket Shellac.

Typically I use Permatex #2 gasket sealant when installing a WP or thermostat gasket. This shellac came in a can with a brush which appealed to me as those tubes rarely last more than 2 applications before rupturing or curing in the tube. I'll never go back. This shellac stuff is great. Easy to apply, easy to see where it's applied. Seems to have sealed well too. Didn't get all over my hands. Was easy to work with in sub freezing temps.

That brings me to another thing.... I ****ing hate working on **** in the driveway. Not having a garage is truly the suck, especially when you're driving a >270k brokedick TJ. I have so many little things that need fixing right now that it's driving me nuts. I cannot wait to have a garage again. My drink froze, sitting on the fender while I worked. Do you know how badly is sucks to change a water pump outside when it's like 26*?

tl:dr; TJ water pump lasted 50 months and 27k miles. Cost $29.99 to replace, but was refunded due to lifetime warranty. Gasket shellac > gasket sealant #2. Changing water pump in 26* weather brings the suck.

No pics from this install, but here is a pic from when I installed the one that just went bad:

Last edited:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I think I need to check the water pump on XJunk. And around radiator. Sporadically smell coolant. On the bright side, when I changed the oil a couple weekends back, it was normal. Dirty, but normal. Temps are running normal too.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
No friend where you could borrow their garage?
Nope. None of my friends have garages. The TJ just needs to last until we get moved, at which time I'm buying a truck and can take the TJ off the road when the time comes to deal with the engine.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I went through water pumps on my CJ-7 like crazy, got to the point that I could do the whole thing in 20 minutes in a parking lot.

gcb

VIP
Water pump replacement on 4.0s is typically around 120K. WTF went wrong with yours? Leaking at the gasket/seal or was the pump itself leaking?

Don't buy Chinese junk; go find a made-in-US version in 27K more miles.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Water pump replacement on 4.0s is typically around 120K. WTF went wrong with yours? Leaking at the gasket/seal or was the pump itself leaking?

Don't buy Chinese junk; go find a made-in-US version in 27K more miles.
I've never had a TJ water pump last more than 30k. I swear I replaced one three times in 18 months one time. That's when I stopped buying from Advance Auto Parts. I only buy new, non-reman, but there aren't a lot of choices. $30 from Autozone or $210 from the dealer.

serfur1

bici italia
VIP
I just recently did the water pump, hoses, thermostat, radiator, fan clutch, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and belt. Runs like a top now. 140k miles on the TJ. I bought all parts off of Amazon. MUCH cheaper to work on than the M3.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I didn't spend much time trying to figure out where/why the WP was leaking. The source wasn't obvious to me and it was too cold to concern myself more. Did not appear to be coming from the weep hole. Could have been a gasket failure. It doesn't appear to be leaking now.

I just recently did the water pump, hoses, thermostat, radiator, fan clutch, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and belt. Runs like a top now. 140k miles on the TJ. I bought all parts off of Amazon. MUCH cheaper to work on than the M3.
Indeed. When I replaced the water pump on the M3, I spent $378 for the pump, thermostat, 3 o-rings, and a gallon of coolant.

The TJ water pump, gasket shellac, and two gallons of coolant was ~$65. I didn't bother with the thermostat this time, but those typically only cost a few more dollars.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You have to be installing them improperly or something. :puzzled:
I can't figure out how I could install it improperly and cause the bearing to wear out. That's what typically goes bad. The first bunch from AAP were junk in that respect. This last one didn't have clear evidence of the leak, so I'm not 100% sure if it was the bearing or the gasket. The only gasket failures I've ever had were immediately obvious and not something that would wait 4 years to spring a leak.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I can't figure out how I could install it improperly and cause the bearing to wear out. That's what typically goes bad. The first bunch from AAP were junk in that respect. This last one didn't have clear evidence of the leak, so I'm not 100% sure if it was the bearing or the gasket. The only gasket failures I've ever had were immediately obvious and not something that would wait 4 years to spring a leak.
You either have the worst luck I've ever heard of or you dont know what you're doing. 10 of any one part in 270k miles is highly unlikely. I really dont know how you'd install one improperly though if you installed the gasket and tourqued it down properly. maybe something else on the drive belt is causing the premature failure.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Dunno. 10 may be a slight embellishment, but it's still a lot. I blame low quality parts. Should spring for a factory mopar unit. Maybe when I rebuild the original.