• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

TJ Water Pump

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
I went through 3 Bosch pumps on my TJ in 4 weeks. Plastic impeller kept separating from the shaft. Threw an autozone duracrap on it and sold it the next week.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Metal impeller. Usually leaks from weep holes.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Too much tension on Serp belt.
Wouldn't that puke right out the shaft because it would tear up the bearing?

If truly only puking beyond the seal, I'd think it's coolant related. Too hot, corrosion, additives in new coolant not compatible with seals or sediment.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
No other belt driven issues. One power steering pump, one idler pulley, and two alternators I'm that timeframe. Alternators had electronic issues.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
After having GM's that ate alternators I'm kind of surprised that my TJ still has the original.

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
The yellow 'ford gold' stuff is essentially the same as green. I run green in all my stuff regardless of what it calls for. Honda called for some blue stuff.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
No other belt driven issues. One power steering pump, one idler pulley, and two alternators I'm that timeframe. Alternators had electronic issues.
I would still try to not tighten it as much as you have been. Couldn't hurt to try that.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Yeah, mines pretty loose, AC squeals on very hot days but I am convinced you don't want them too tight.
You want them just right. Mine no longer squeals, but I just guessed about how tight it should be.

Thing's been running well of late, I assume I need expect a major failure soon. Hopefully not when my wife is driving in winter weather.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I really can't imagine I have the belt too tight. I test the deflection by feel, twisting it about 90*. Experience tells me that anything less squeals at full lock. I lean towards low quality replacement parts.