• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Best years for XJ, ones to avoid?

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
Looking for a camping/fishing beater rig, expectations are low. There's a fair number around here, even some 5spd's and 2 doors (only 5spd/2 dr combo thus far is a 4 cyl).

Which years should I be looking for or avoiding? My 95 5spd was very reliable, so I know that's a good one.

What about autos? Where they particularly troublesome?

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
Avoid the 84-01s and you'll be good.
There was an '83 on craigslist, M/T, looked good until the last pic where it seems to have hit a building head on at 90 mph.

Description said that it doesn't run.....how about "it's f'ing smashed" idiot.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
91-99 are the years to have.
I thought it was '97 to '99?

I was out working on the Grand Wagoneer the other day and one of my neighbors stopped by. He's got an '01 XJ that his wife says he's gotta sell. Florida RIG, pretty clean. BUT...it's 2WD. He says he'd rather see it go to a Jeep person, and I'm thinking no Jeep person around here is gonna want it.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I was out working on the Grand Wagoneer the other day and one of my neighbors stopped by. He's got an '01 XJ that his wife says he's gotta sell. Florida RIG, pretty clean. BUT...it's 2WD. He says he'd rather see it go to a Jeep person, and I'm thinking no Jeep person around here is gonna want it.
If it's cheap enough and in sufficiently good shape you can easily convert it.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
I have enough projects and my 4WD XJ from NC was cleaner. :D

If I were to bring home another vehicle, it would be a wagon that is not a Jeep. I took the guy's number and posted the XJ on one of the local FB Jeep groups and haven't gotten any replies.

I guess being a 2WD it won't have the LP30 up front.

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
So in my search I've come across an extremely clean Commander.

On one hand, I hate to spend the $$'s on something that's going to sit unused, OTOH I'd probably actually use it more.

hmmmm

John

Transplant
VIP
They are both junk, but given the choice I'd be driving a Commander. XJ= Never again. I'd rather walk.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
I thought it was '97 to '99?

If you like the newer body style, yes. From a mechanical standpoint, they are mostly the same from 91-99.

There are many subtle nuances like the 91-94 have a better slip yoke for a mild lift, etc. But they are just about all the same durability wise.

8.25 rear is the way to go on those for sure.

That 2WD one? Yeah, no. Tell him good luck. There is a reason that market exists only in TX and FL. Who else would be dumb enough to deal with an XJ and not even have 4wd?

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
One other difference is that the older ones exhibit just as much piston slap as the newer ones but you can't hear it as much due to thicker engine block, etc. Just built more solid. I also find the older ones use hardware from the factory that is far superior to the newer ones. It's more than obvious that Chrysler cheaped out more and more over time.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
That 2WD one? Yeah, no. Tell him good luck. There is a reason that market exists only in TX and FL. Who else would be dumb enough to deal with an XJ and not even have 4wd?
He bought it while living in FL and moved up here a few years ago. I can tell he doesn't want to sell it, his wife is pushing him to get rid of it. Then he says he's got a 14 year old, and I'm thinking drive it every couple days and the kid can have it when he's ready.

I didn't even quote that many 2WD XJ's when I sold GA and FL at Progressive.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
He bought it while living in FL and moved up here a few years ago. I can tell he doesn't want to sell it, his wife is pushing him to get rid of it. Then he says he's got a 14 year old, and I'm thinking drive it every couple days and the kid can have it when he's ready.

I didn't even quote that many 2WD XJ's when I sold GA and FL at Progressive.
Would be good for a kid to beat the shit out of. Hopefully he doesn't get stuck much.