• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

2015 JK

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Did you see my solution to this problem in my bfg tire thread last week before I had to nuke it from the miturdo infestation?
I did, and it's in the back of my mind. It'd be nice to grab tire/wheel combos without having to already have a set of suitable rims however. :shrug:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Then I miss the benefit of somebody taking off brand new factory tires/wheels and dumping them on CL for $500.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I now wish I didn't buy the Toyos for the XJ, I could have just bought the adaptors and had a nice set of wheels and tires.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
Love driving mine, even on 37's. It's not quite ready for them yet steering and brakes wise but I guess you could also call me a glutton for punishment. I can deal with it.

gcb

VIP
2020 Update:

It now has some LOD rockrails, JCR rear bumper/ tire carrier, Warn winch, LED lights up front (cheap junk... not happy with the headlights), 2.5" poly spacer lift, Rubicon Hard Rock wheels, 315/70R17 BFG ATs. Even with the 6MT and 3.73 gears, it's SLOOOW. I'll put 4.88s and ARBs in it sometime. At this point, it'll do most everything I need it do. I don't "rock crawl" anymore, and real trails are hours away. It's a perfect Forest Service Road cruiser.

I'd post pictures, but I'm not sure where to host them anymore.

John

Transplant
VIP
2020 Update:

It now has some LOD rockrails, JCR rear bumper/ tire carrier, Warn winch, LED lights up front (cheap junk... not happy with the headlights), 2.5" poly spacer lift, Rubicon Hard Rock wheels, 315/70R17 BFG ATs. Even with the 6MT and 3.73 gears, it's SLOOOW. I'll put 4.88s and ARBs in it sometime. At this point, it'll do most everything I need it do. I don't "rock crawl" anymore, and real trails are hours away. It's a perfect Forest Service Road cruiser.

I’m kinda confused by why it’s so slow. That’s only .7” larger than my tires and mine does fine. I know the 8 speed helps a lot, but you have the same engine. How much does that rig weigh? Mine is heavy. It weighed almost 4800 lbs stock and now it’s at least 100 lbs heavier.

Bart Giamatti

I’m kinda confused by why it’s so slow. That’s only .7” larger than my tires and mine does fine. I know the 8 speed helps a lot, but you have the same engine. How much does that rig weigh? Mine is heavy. It weighed almost 4800 lbs stock and now it’s at least 100 lbs heavier.
bumpers are a bitch, I regretted my heavy shit on my tj so bad.

John

Transplant
VIP
bumpers are a bitch, I regretted my heavy shit on my tj so bad.
Right, but even an unlimited Rubicon JK only weighed 4300 lbs. I know the 3.6l has been updated since then, but I don’t think the hp and torque numbers have changed much.

I had a fucked up road rage thing happen to me on I-40 on Saturday and I had to get the fuck out of there before it got even more out of hand. I easily hit the 110 mph rev limiter, which is really 115 with my tires, before I could hit the next exit to GTFO of there.

gcb

VIP
I imagine the transmission makes a significant difference. I drove a JL with the new automatic and it was incredible.

EDIT: I'm comparing it to pre-modification speed, where it had the cheap all season "small" tires. It wasn't fast by any means, but it would move without issue. I put on some Rubicon takeoffs, and there was a noticeable difference. When I put on the BFGs, it just bogged it down. The solution is deeper gears.

Deep Breath

2020 Update:

My phone lets me copy and paste them here :dodson: