• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Is it possible a broken exhaust was preventing the service engine soon light...

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Is the "Service Engine Soon" light the same as the "Check Engine Light" on the ZJ? I thought the service soon light was different and based on mileage for specific maintenance intervals.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Maybe it is check engine- I never realized they were different things- in my mind they were one the same. :loopy:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Maybe it is check engine- I never realized they were different things- in my mind they were one the same. :loopy:
They may be. It just sticks in my mind that some vehicles in the 80's and 90's had a service interval light that was different from the CEL. Could be wrong though.

Ralph

VIP
They may be. It just sticks in my mind that some vehicles in the 80's and 90's had a service interval light that was different from the CEL. Could be wrong though.
Yes, they did. However, "Service engine soon" and "check engine" are typically both referring to the malfunction indicator light.

My 03 Grand Prix company car had a separate idiot light for changing the oil.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Mom wasn't getting anything for 3 times... so she did 6 times like it says on this video and got the following on the odometer:

12, 21, 45, 17, 55

Ralph

VIP
How does it run otherwise?

With it kicking out code 21, I'd put an oxygen sensor in it, clear the codes, and drive it.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
How does it run otherwise?

With it kicking out code 21, I'd put an oxygen sensor in it, clear the codes, and drive it.
Seems to run OK otherwise... Anyway to figure out what 45 is?

When you say put an oxygen sensor in it, you mean, replace the one that is there?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
If the 17 code is legit, you might be getting an O2 sensor code as a result of the engine not getting up to temp. Would be odd, for sure, but possible.

there will be an upstream and downstream O2, check for pinched/burnt wires before just replacing anything. plus a real scanner should indicate the O2 sensor in question.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Actually it kind of makes sense- I see another explanation for 17 as "Coolant sensor not reporting more than 160° after 8 minutes of engine running."

The jeep is rarely driven more than a few blocks at a time. The repair place is about 4 minutes away and the furthest it has been since the repair. It probably never gets that hot.

Ralph

VIP
If the 17 code is legit, you might be getting an O2 sensor code as a result of the engine not getting up to temp. Would be odd, for sure, but possible.
Definitely possibile, but O2 sensors are exceedingly common Chrysler failures. I've done at least one on each chryco vehicle I've owned. If it's throwing the 21 code, I'd replace it if it hasn't been done in awhile regardless of any other codes.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Definitely possibile, but O2 sensors are exceedingly common Chrysler failures. I've done at least one on each chryco vehicle I've owned. If it's throwing the 21 code, I'd replace it if it hasn't been done in awhile regardless of any other codes.
Agreed. They're relatively easy to replace. Ditto on checking for burnt wires, but even then, it may be easier just to replace. I think I've replaced the ones on my TJ about 4-5x in the ~230k miles I've driven it.

If the engine never gets up to temp in regular driving due to short trips, I'd also be tempted to just clear the code, then start it and let it get completely up to temp a couple times to see if it persists.

I also always pull the O2 sensor and bench test it before I replace it since the old Chryco shit doesn't always accurately denote which sensor is bad. Bench test = propane torch and multimeter. I usually hit it with a MAPP torch first to burn out any fouling.

Ralph

VIP
I also always pull the O2 sensor and bench test it before I replace it since the old Chryco shit doesn't always accurately denote which sensor is bad. Bench test = propane torch and multimeter. I usually hit it with a MAPP torch first to burn out any fouling.
Not a bad idea. As I mentioned before, I have an OBD suite on my laptop which can monitor the voltage from O2 sensors. I've used it before for specifically this purpose on a Neon. The downstream sensor was outputting a nice constant voltage within spec. The upstream was super erratic. Told the owner "replace the upstream one." Handy as hell :beerchug:

[edit] Side note, I had an o2 sensor replaced on my ZJ last year. They had to cut it and the threaded, welded nut off the exhaust system. They welded on a new nut.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I just have Torque and a BT scan tool. I don't think my TJ gives me voltage from the O2 sensors. Could be wrong though.

Ralph

VIP
I just have Torque and a BT scan tool. I don't think my TJ gives me voltage from the O2 sensors. Could be wrong though.
I havent found a mobile app that will drill down to O2 sensor voltage. I cant think of any reason your TJ wouldn't give you that reading.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
It has voltages for some things. I didn't drive the TJ today, otherwise I'd go check.