• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

motorcycle shopping

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
It likely is an adventure trying to pilot a bloated pig that weighs close to 500 lbs with fluids and accessories.
Never owned one, I know several people that do and are pretty happy with them. What would you suggest for running highways and doing well on a dirt road?

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
RAWK, but not for someone over 60. My KTM is a pain in the ass. You have to change the oil ALL the time (it only holds one quart,) you can't sit still for more than about 30 seconds without the risk of overheating it, the headlight is about as bright as a zippo, and you can't touch the ground unless you're 6'8". Plus it has enough power to roll over backwards at will. It's ****ing awesome :clapping: But not such a great idea for an older gentleman.

Sean Mallory

Legend in my own mind
Never owned one, I know several people that do and are pretty happy with them. What would you suggest for running highways and doing well on a dirt road?
Always been a Honda guy, but the KTMs look sweet.

If you want to do it right, regear. Carry a high and low front gear and a chain for each. Then you have a spare chain too.

Or you could save weight and fiddle around shortening and lengthening a single chain.

Last edited:

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Always been a Honda guy, but the KTMs look sweet.

If you want to do it right, regear. Carry a high and low front gear and a chain for each. Then you have a spare chain too.

Or you could save weight and fiddle around shortening and lengthening a single chain.
I've always maintained that Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha are all equally great companies. I tend to favor Yamaha for no particular reason other than I've had great luck with their products. I know the others are great too once again. I've a bit reluctant to buy a Euro bike. I just think that they are probably quirky and prone to failure or heavy maintenance. I'm hoping that the adventure segment keeps growing so we can get some cool shit that everyone else seems to have but us. A great example is the Yamaha XT660.

Sean Mallory

Legend in my own mind
My old 84 XL600R is still a viable adventure bike. And well under 350 lbs. I haven't ridden it in a couple years. I keep the thing just to look at. I will likely be buried with it. :beerchug:

Sean Mallory

Legend in my own mind
Ah, those are fawking great bikes. I would roll that. :beerchug:
I'll get some pics this weekend. The lowend torque is nuts. It's got asynchronous dual carbs. My buddy had one and when he was climbing a hill slowly I could see the rear tire spin according the exhaust pulses. He was getting about 1/2 turn of the rear wheel for every ignition firing. :D

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I'll get some pics this weekend. The lowend torque is nuts. It's got asynchronous dual carbs. My buddy had one and when he was climbing a hill slowly I could see the rear tire spin according the exhaust pulses. He was getting about 1/2 turn of the rear wheel for every ignition firing. :D
That's what I love about my KTM. It has a great power to weight ratio, but what makes it really awesome is that it's the only bike I've ever had that seems to just always have power. I think you could bog it down to eight rpm and it would feel like it has as much power as it has at 8000. It's a frigging wheelie monster because of it, though, so not for dad. He's scared to death of a bike rolling over on him.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
:clapping: 400lbs, 180hp thumper. I always liked the Super Duke
The old one had about 130 I think. This thing has to be ridiculous. The throttle is pretty much just a height control for the front wheel.