• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Android mocks crapple "innovations" as five year old google tech

Ralph

VIP
My Android phone was a heaping pile of shit compared to my iPhone.
Yeah, I still can't get over how my iPhones all felt like someone else's idea of what a phone should be, rather than my idea of what a phone should be. I'll never go back to iOS. If it works for you, great. You may want to look at the current Jellybean and KitKat phones. There's some pretty awesome stuff on the market and upcoming.

John

Transplant
VIP
I wish I had never gone iPhone. I am digging the customization of the S5.
You have to customize the shit out of it to make it tolerable. I was able to fix a lot of the things I didn't like about it but in the end I wasn't a big fan.

The only good thing about the S5 is the amazing battery life. Opinions will vary, but after a month with it I didn't care for it anymore.

You have to customize the shit out of it to make it tolerable. I was able to fix a lot of the things I didn't like about it but in the end I wasn't a big fan.

The only good thing about the S5 is the amazing battery life. Opinions will vary, but after a month with it I didn't care for it anymore.
a single app cleaned up the entire phone, made all the icons capable of being resized, and a host of other small tweaks. All in all it took me 5 minutes to make it just the way I wanted it.

And then there is the expandable storage thing.....yeah that always pissed me off to no end with apple, that and fawking itunes.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Granted, I had a Thunderbolt, but it was Android and it was garbage. Samsung phones feel like flimsy pieces of shit.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I thought the old ones were but the s5 is sturdy. Time to take another look.
I'll take another look. Still glitchy GUI when cruising through the phone? My Project Engineer's S4 is like that. I don't have time for that crap.

I have a YJ, no need for a Compass. We are going to look at new Grund Junkokee Limiturds for shits though.

Not a surprise to me. One more reason to stay away from Apple.

I had an S2 and I now have the S5. The S2 wasn't the most reliable software wise but I could do what I want with it. Expandable memory is also a huge plus. Having a 64GB microSD card to carry my whole music library is a must.

For good or for bad, Android is open and comes on a huge range of devices and is typically modified by the manufacturer and/or provider. Lots of options, maybe too many. Fortunately you have the ability to pick the right phone from the right provider.

edit: I started with an S1 - meh. Now I have an S3 and it's perfectly fine. When my contract runs out later this year I'll probably upgrade to an S5 unless something better comes along.

KJVBlueXJ

signaling the Mothership
VIP
I can't stand using my wife's S3. I just don't like the way samsung does their software and I'm not a fan of an all plastic smartphone. I've been on a Droid Razr Maxx HD for the last year and a half and I've really liked it. I've never put any case or screen protector on it and though the back and edges have a few nicks from dropping it multiple times, there's not so much as a scratch on the screen.

I can't stand using my wife's S3. I just don't like the way samsung does their software and I'm not a fan of an all plastic smartphone. I've been on a Droid Razr Maxx HD for the last year and a half and I've really liked it. I've never put any case or screen protector on it and though the back and edges have a few nicks from dropping it multiple times, there's not so much as a scratch on the screen.
Perhaps when the times comes I'll upgrade to a non Samsung phone. The only two Android phones I've used are the S1 and S3, so I really don't know what all Samsung does or what would be different about a vanilla phone. I was not planning on buying an S5 just to see the difference, but it constantly gets such great reviews it would be hard to risk something else when I'm happy enough with my current phone and the S5 is just a better version of it.

One annoyance I have though is the provider crap. My S1 was through ATT and had ATT apps that you couldn't delete. My S3 through Verizon is the say way, Verizon apps I'll never use but can't delete.

I see the appeal of buying a generic, non provider specific phone and using that, but for the $400+ price difference I'll just ignore a few icons.