• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

I don't think a turbo 4 cylinder gas engine would be a bad thing in a Wrangler

John

Transplant
VIP
I was just doing some reading on my Audi and the 2.0TFSI makes 268 lb ft of torque at 1800 rpm. The S3 2.0TFSI makes 280 with a similar torque curve.

I know this is Audi and not Jeep, but that could be a nice little engine for off-roading and street driving with better mpg to help with CAFE standards. I wonder how much longer before they offer something like that?

The 2.0 TDI would be ok too. The 3.0 TDI would be awesome....

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I think a modern gasoline engine is a lot more fun and engaging to drive compared to a modern diesel.
Without a doubt, tomorrow I'm going to drive a diesel Cruze. I hope it's changed a bit since the last time a drove a diesel car.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
I know this is Audi and not Jeep, but that could be a nice little engine for off-roading and street driving with better mpg to help with CAFE standards.
CAFE standards are such bullshit. They should standardize all the fuel economy criteria, make it realistic, and put that crap on the window sticker.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Everyone wanted V8's in the 70's so they continued to make large displacement V8's. They just made them extremely inefficient to satisfy politicians. In the next decade you saw efficient 4 bangers but nobody wanted them. Next decade got better but if you think about it it took 30+ years for their political demands to make it to successful design.

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
A variable rate supercharger would be sweet. Bump up the boost from idle-2krpm to give the little engine some grunt.

Think CVT clutch on the blower pulley. jjj

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Anyone that fears a small displacement turbo engine hasn't had one made in the past ~20 years. With variable pitch and diameter wheels on both sides they can make an engine have the best power delivery of anything aside from an electric motor.