• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Anyone use a "Free home phone" VOIP device?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Now that I cut my cable bill in half I'm looking at my Verizon bill. Right now I pay for FiOS Internet and Home Phone at about $85 a month + taxes.

I just got a notice from Verizon that my contract ends in 3 months and they suggest renewing a plan that is $10 more and increases my internet speed from 50/50 to 75/75.

Looking online I did not see any way to keep my current plan for the same price. Options were either to drop down to 25/25 internet or increased to 75/75.

If they can't offer me the same plan when I call them I want to be able to tell them I'll cancel the phone service all together and just do internet.

I was looking at something like this- Amazon.com Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service Electronics

Wonder if anyone uses that or something similar? Any problems?

I need something that is stand alone and does not rely on a computer being on.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
If you have one of the emergency call devices, like Lifeline, be sure it will work with a VOIP system. Some won't.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I've use a Magic Jack for my home phone. I like the ability to use it anywhere in the world and keep the same number. They have models now that don't need a computer to be on-line. Works great and the cost is low, $25 a year I believe.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I've use a Magic Jack for my home phone. I like the ability to use it anywhere in the world and keep the same number. They have models now that don't need a computer to be on-line. Works great and the cost is low, $25 a year I believe.
I don't know if it's an issue in Alaska but do you know if you can call 911 with it?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I've got a panasonic system with the same feature... basically makes your home phone a bluetooth headset. I suppose I could set it up since it's annoying to take my cell phone out of the charger when I get an occasional call on it. Have not used it yet, though.
Probably all you need really.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I don't know if it's an issue in Alaska but do you know if you can call 911 with it?
You can pay a extra fee and have it coded to your local 911 service.

911 Emergency Services are for United States and Canadian addresses ONLY and is offered to you for a fee.

Canadian addresses require Canadian numbers

US addresses require US numbers

NOTE: 911 Emergency Services will NOT work with magicJack APP

You must pay to receive 911 services. To continue to receive certain limited 911 calling priviliges as described in our TOS, you will need to click "Enable" on the 911 page in your my.magicJack account. These unfortunate changes were made necessary because certain emergency 911 Districts in certain jurisdictions requested we send an email bill on their behalf and benefit.

magicJack will not profit by collecting pass through charges for 911 authorities. The changes will be billed annually by email and may cost anywhere from $6.00 to over $60.00 a year. On average throughout the country it will cost about $12.00 a year.

To enable 911, please go to my.magicJack.com/911

Ardvark

I pay 199 every 2 years. There is a 4 tax charge per month
it is viatalk. Have had it 6 years.
Tell me before you sign up. I might get a referral payment

So around 12 per month is what we pay for unlimited

Ralph

VIP
My cell phone only has 300 voice minutes a month, don't want to take all home calls over my cell phone.
What the **** plan only has 300 voice minutes? It's 2015 for God's sake. Get a real plan. Dump your land line. Use the Bluetooth cordless phone linked to your cell.

Panasonic's link to cell phones are excellent. My shop has no signal inside the building. So I leave my phone in the window all day and have a Panasonic cordless for making and receiving phone calls.

I have not had a land line since 2002,and that's only because I needed it for dial up innernets when I was a dirt poor college student.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
What the **** plan only has 300 voice minutes? It's 2015 for God's sake. Get a real plan. Dump your land line. Use the Bluetooth cordless phone linked to your cell.
I have around 420 minutes on my plan and never get close to that. I doubt I use much more than 100 minutes a month.

Now texts messages... there I go a few thousand per month.