• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

S5 or S6

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The size is not something that appeals to me for carrying around. That said, so far it's not horrible, but I do find myself sitting it on things rather than putting it in my pocket. Will see how it is once I'm back at work in dress clothes with a case on the phone.

Stu Cozza

is Good for America
Neither. I have the Note 4... I cant tell a difference - other than screen size. Something tells me Motorola and HTC have something better coming.
Heard recently from somebody who went from iPhone 5 to Moto Druid Turbo, and is liking the Moto.

Of course, VZW has joined T-Mobile with its own "howmuchamonth" plan (~$20/month x 24 months), so it is still a "pay now or pay later" deal.

Gots ta run the numbers to see if my next phone is worth getting into that sort of plan. The :wifey: has a plain LG VX9200 and likes it because it just works well and goes several days (sometimes a week, unless she texts a lot) on a battery charge... it is the Energizer Bunny of phones. She also has an iPad through VZW and I have a GS4. We never use more than 2-GB per month... often less than one. Maybe the new plan works better for those of use who use far more wireless than 4G.

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
New Moto x will hit street very soon with no carrier bloat and equipped to run on any network
Posted this, now Verizon is dumping subsidized contracts; maybe Moto knew this was coming?

Seems like not being tied to a carrier could be really good for the consumer if all phone mfgs adopt this model.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
I've always hated the cell phone business model. I want to be able to buy whatever phone I like from whoever is selling it, and go to any wireless provider I like and have that phone work with that provider. In other words, any cell phone works on any network.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I've always hated the cell phone business model. I want to be able to buy whatever phone I like from whoever is selling it, and go to any wireless provider I like and have that phone work with that provider. In other words, any cell phone works on any network.
All cellphones overseas are like this. At least they were when I lived overseas. Just swap out a SIM card and you're on whatever network is printed on the SIM card. The plans were all pay as you use and cheap as hell.

Aged Punk Shredder

First World Anarchist
All cellphones overseas are like this. At least they were when I lived overseas. Just swap out a SIM card and you're on whatever network is printed on the SIM card. The plans were all pay as you use and cheap as hell.
but the phones were way more expensive than here right?

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
Then I'm doing something wrong, cause this thing keeps crashing on me. I really want to love the phone because the OS part is excellent, but web browsing is painful.
It's the compatibility. The whole Java thing and websites don't worry about ensuring code works with it, like they do for Android or iOS. Love the GUI, live tiles, OS. Dislike the lack of apps and 100% web compatibility.

That said my Lumia 920 bit the dust this morning. One drop too many and now touch only works on about 25% of the screen. Switching to a business paid phone and the only option is android. Was holding out for a lumia 940, which is supposed to be awesome, but alas, so long windows phone.

serfur1

bici italia
VIP
windows phone. I bought my 640 lumia for $130 out the door. I can throw it in the gutta and got buy anotha for $130 if I need too. It's not a flagship phone, but fully capable. yeah, yeah, the apps...

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm loving the Nexus 6. The size is a bit much at times, but when it comes to battery life and use, I love it.

One feature that I didn't expect to like so much is the wireless charging. I have one on my desk at work and one beside my bed at home. I've always had a charge cord at work, but never really used it. Now, every time I put the phone down on my desk it's charging. Really a great feature.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
One feature that I didn't expect to like so much is the wireless charging. I have one on my desk at work and one beside my bed at home. I've always had a charge cord at work, but never really used it. Now, every time I put the phone down on my desk it's charging. Really a great feature.
I have one of them for my Moto Mini. Works pretty well however I need to have it positioned just right or the phone complains.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm hoping the next generation Macbook Pro has wireless charging that's compatible with the phones too. I don't think it is, but it would really be slick to have a mat that I could set my phone or laptop on for charging.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
I'm hoping the next generation Macbook Pro has wireless charging that's compatible with the phones too. I don't think it is, but it would really be slick to have a mat that I could set my phone or laptop on for charging.
Current tech on market can't provide enough current for a laptop. I think some newer wireless charging tech is coming that might be able to.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Current tech on market can't provide enough current for a laptop. I think some newer wireless charging tech is coming that might be able to.
Skylake / Rezence is supposed to provide charging for laptops, though I expect they'll be the ultra low power machines that are fanless and basically have tablet procs.