• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
For my Bday I ended up with a PS4 that came with Call of Duty Black Ops and separately, GTA5. I figured I'd start with GTA5 and realized I had to wait like 40 minutes for it to "install." I remember this being a thing on the PS3/Xbox360 but had coped the next gens were better.

Haven't even put in COD yet... do most games have to install these days or is GTA5 still unique like that?

I feel like I'm so old and out of touch... I thought something was broken when hitting the eject button didn't eject the tray to put the disc in. I was looking in the manual and online... Finally we realized there is no tray! It's just a slot. :dunce:

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
All of the Xbox one games have to be installed. That's why they all come with massive hard drives now. Irritating as hell.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I prefer installed, DLC, so I don't have the stupid discs to swap.

I actually refuse to buy any game on disc again. Fawk that. Welcome to 2015. Been playing COD a bit. Seems decent. Way better spawning than the last Black Ops. I don't find myself spawning and getting shot in the back within 2 seconds now.

Unfortunately, I can't play with Joe since I'm on Xbox.

Last edited:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Takes forever to install shit on X1 and even with a huge drive there isn't a ton of room. I think it sucks. Mine is only a 500GB model (yes, ONLY 500GB) and I can only have 5-6 games installed at a time. If I wanted to play Assassin's Creed now I'd have to uninstall something else and install AC, so it would be at least two hours before I could play. Or if it was Halo 5 it would be several hours because it downloads over 50GB of shit while installing (even on launch day -- I'm sure it will be worse as they debug.) Not the way console gaming should be. Console gaming is supposed to provide instant gratification. They should have put multiple discs in the Halo 5 box - if you didn't have an internet connection you simply wouldn't have been able to install it or play it, and there isn't a damn thing on the box to let you know that. Again - not the way console gaming should be.

Last edited:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
That serious sucks.
Yep. Pretty much every advantage console gaming had over PC is gone now. It's actually reversed, because PC games still come with all of the discs required to install the game and play it without being online. The most recent X1 games I've bought were Forza 6 and Halo 5, and both had to download a ton of shit before they were playable. Stupid stupid stupid.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
Takes forever to install shit on X1 and even with a huge drive there isn't a ton of room. I think it sucks. Mine is only a 500GB model (yes, ONLY 500GB) and I can only have 5-6 games installed at a time. If I wanted to play Assassin's Creed now I'd have to uninstall something else and install AC, so it would be at least two hours before I could play. Or if it was Halo 5 it would be several hours because it downloads over 50GB of shit while installing (even on launch day -- I'm sure it will be worse as they debug.) Not the way console gaming should be. Console gaming is supposed to provide instant gratification. They should have put multiple discs in the Halo 5 box - if you didn't have an internet connection you simply wouldn't have been able to install it or play it, and there isn't a damn thing on the box to let you know that. Again - not the way console gaming should be.
You are aware that you can plug an external drive into your X1 right?

Also, for whatever reason, the download times vary. I have had some games take forever and others loaded quickly. Halo 5 loaded pretty quick.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
You are aware that you can plug an external drive into your X1 right?

Also, for whatever reason, the download times vary. I have had some games take forever and others loaded quickly. Halo 5 loaded pretty quick.
Yes, and that's no excuse for stupid shit like this. If you can't buy a console and a game and play them the minute you get home to your cabin with no internet connection that means console gaming has lost its way. It has. Having to add storage and download 50GB of shit is PC gaming, and it's the reason a lot of us stopped doing that and went to consoles.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
Yes, and that's no excuse for stupid shit like this. If you can't buy a console and a game and play them the minute you get home to your cabin with no internet connection that means console gaming has lost its way. It has. Having to add storage and download 50GB of shit is PC gaming, and it's the reason a lot of us stopped doing that and went to consoles.
I was under the impression that you could still play even without an Internet connection.

And I agree with you on the whole bs of installing the game before you play.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I have to say... GTA5 is still the closest thing I've seen to actually driving... I spent a few hours just driving around the mountains, dirt roads, mud trails... Have no desire the play the rest of the game, probably never will. Just saved it as soon as the first character got home for the first time. Can do anything from there.

Called the blimp, was enjoying that too. After like 40 minutes of uncovering the map accidentally pressed the button to "exit vehicle" and fell to my death. :banghead:

Second time I wandered into restricted air space and got shot down before I could leave. :panic:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I was under the impression that you could still play even without an Internet connection.

And I agree with you on the whole bs of installing the game before you play.
You can play without an internet connection, but most games have to download stuff for the initial install. Halo 5 being my current example - it's nearly 90GB after install. That didn't all come on the one disc in the box - it downloads about 50GB of stuff while installing. I'm okay with the install (not a fan of it, but okay with it) but I think Halo 5 should have 4-5 discs in the box with the entire game so I could install it without an internet connection.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You guys realize that this is 2015, right? Nobody is building games that are primarily for offline play. That's not a console vs PC thing, it's just the evolution of gaming. A company that made offline only games is going to be out of business before they get started in 2015, and you're not going to get network play with fixes to problems and fresh content without installs and downloads.

The difference between PC and console today is really only two things. Primarily the input device, but also the system configuration. Console games have a fixed equipment requirement. PCs have to be upgraded to run the latest and greatest.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
You guys realize that this is 2015, right? Nobody is building games that are primarily for offline play. That's not a console vs PC thing, it's just the evolution of gaming. A company that made offline only games is going to be out of business before they get started in 2015, and you're not going to get network play with fixes to problems and fresh content without installs and downloads.

The difference between PC and console today is really only two things. Primarily the input device, but also the system configuration. Console games have a fixed equipment requirement. PCs have to be upgraded to run the latest and greatest.
Which is why I don't play online. Holy fawk it's like being in the movie Idiocracy.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
Which is why I don't play online. Holy fawk it's like being in the movie Idiocracy.
Either I'm turning into an old bastard or online gaming has turned to shit. When Xbox live first came out I could hang with the best but now it's turned into a circus. Between the cheaters and the wannabe mlg guys boosting and glitch training, I can't stand open online gaming.

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
Either I'm turning into an old bastard or online gaming has turned to shit. When Xbox live first came out I could hang with the best but now it's turned into a circus. Between the cheaters and the wannabe mlg guys boosting and glitch training, I can't stand open online gaming.
"BOOSTING AND GLITCH TRAINING" SAID NO OLD GUY EVER

Status
Not open for further replies.