• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Found Out Something Awesome

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
Mom gave me a poster size picture of the submarine my grandfather was on. It had the class/# on it so I was able to narrow down my information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Seawolf_(SSN-575)

This would be when my grandfather was on it and the stories he always told me.

1974–1978[edit]
In 1974, Seawolf completed post-conversion testing and evaluation period and conducted her first Pacific Fleet deployment, operating independently for a period of three months. For her performance of duty, she was awarded a second Navy Unit Commendation. In 1975, Seawolf came under the exclusive direction of Submarine Development Group One, and for outstanding performance in 1974–1975, was awarded a Battle Efficiency "E."

In 1976, Seawolf received her second consecutive Battle Efficiency "E" and the Engineering "E" for Excellence. During her second Pacific Fleet deployment, she conducted independent submerged operations for three months and demonstrated superior endurance by remaining submerged for 89 consecutive days, a U.S. Navy record. She received her third Navy Unit Commendation.

In 1977, Seawolf received her third Battle Efficiency "E" and her second Engineering "E" for Excellence. During her third Pacific Fleet deployment, she conducted 79 consecutive days of independent submerged operations and received her fourth Navy Unit Commendation and the Navy Expeditionary Medal. In 1978, Seawolf conducted her fourth Pacific Fleet deployment.

Some of the above deployments are chronicled in the book Blind Man's Bluff by Sherry Sontag, Christopher Drew & Annette Lawrence Drew. Published in 1998, the book details previously classified stories of espionage and Cold War activities of American submarines, and specifically details one of Seawolf's missions in Russian waters.
Best part, THERE'S A BOOK. As he told it, that 89 days under was when they were spying on the Russian's Tango sub. It basically took 89 days to finally see it come out of the port and go on it's first run. Grandfather was in charge of translating the incoming transmissions. He talked about having to literally wire tap their phone lines because they could get to them in the water without being detected.

Now I'm curious about the book.