• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Ring Central - Cancellation from hell

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
A year or so ago I signed up for an e-fax account from RingCentral.com. They offer quite a number of services, a basic fax line is probably the cheapest thing they offered. $10.95 a month at the time was less than I was paying at EFax.com.

I picked my number and the account was created probably within 2 minutes if not sooner.

I would have gladly kept this account until I got an email earlier this week saying the price was going up on my account. Not by a lot, only a few dollars, but as a man of principle it wasn't something I could stomach since most moths I neither send nor receive any faxes.

I started looking for cheaper alternatives and found MyFax.com offered a basic plan with more than enough sent & received faxes for just $5 a month.

So I logged into Ring Central to cancel my account.

You would think a site that lets you sign up online would let you cancel online, so such luck.

When you choose the cancel option you are told to call a phone number to "finalize" your cancellation. But it isn't finalize- literally nothing has been done, the only way to cancel is to call. So I did about 8AM Eastern time.

I am greeted with message "Thank you for calling the cancellation hotline... hours are 6AM to [something] Pacific Time" so I was one hour early but it confirmed at least it was the cancellation hotline.

So I called again about 90 minutes later... On hold for several minutes, a human picks up. Confirms my info, confirms my security question, asks what I want to do (I'm thinking isn't this the cancellation hotline?) I explain I want to cancel. They ask why? I said because the price was going up. They say they have to transfer me to the people who can explain why price is going up. I say I don't want an explanation I just want to cancel. Then they tell me either way they have to transfer me.

I spend 10 minutes on hold waiting for someone else.

Original woman picks up says all the cancellation members are busy and wants me to hold longer.

At this point I am pretty agitated and I explain to her I called this number before they opened, I know the entire number is the cancellation hotline. I've now spent 15 minutes trying to cancel an account that took a minute to create. I've recorded the call and I am telling her I want the account cancelled. Period. If I get charged again I am reporting it to American Express as fraud. She apologizes but still says everyone is busy but they will call me back.

I say fine, if they call back I will answer, but I have done my part, I called, I told you to cancel my account, and you have taken note of it. So whether anyone calls me back or not I am informing you any future charges will be reported as fraud.

She remained professional and no one was throwing insults, it is just very annoying to waste probably half an hour to cancel a stupid account. They should offer online cancellation.

It's been almost 30 minutes, no call back yet.

Moral of the story- don't ever open a new account with Ring Central! They're as bad a Time Warner Cable, arguably worse, if you try to leave.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I hate that shit more than anything

I get the reason, they want to have a human talk to you to try to entice you to stay. From the company's standpoint, it makes sense.

From a customer side, it's horseshit. Just let me cancel!

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I hate that shit more than anything

I get the reason, they want to have a human talk to you to try to entice you to stay. From the company's standpoint, it makes sense.

From a customer side, it's horseshit. Just let me cancel!
I get it but have enough staff I'm not waiting on hold getting angrier and angrier. Before this I would have considered it an amicable split and would have recommended them to others. Now I want them to pay for wasting my time.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Gotomypc was the same way when I wanted to cancel. Had to call in and sit through the hard sell. This was more than 10 years ago though, maybe it's different now.