• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

networking equipment

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Bit overkill for the house, isn't it? :jump:

Of course the 12 port patch panel I have probably won't be enough either.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Bit overkill for the house, isn't it? :jump:

Of course the 12 port patch panel I have probably won't be enough either.
Yes. It will be overkill. Will pull 10 Cat6 just in the living room. 4 to each place I may have a TV and 2 to a single wall plate.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Yes. It will be overkill. Will pull 10 Cat6 just in the living room. 4 to each place I may have a TV and 2 to a single wall plate.
To be honest, if I were building and had open walls to work from, I'd put at least one jack on every wall. Even if most aren't hot, far easier and cheaper to do it now.

Of course I lost bids way back in the day because of my philosophy of doing it "right" to the best of my abilities and knowledge.

Have you looked into using the siamese cabling? Seems a bit spendy.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm planning on pulling at least two wires to each wall in living room and each bedroom. A pair of coax to two walls in each, plus to the back patio.

Siamese cabling?

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Curious as to why?

My budget doesn't support using it so I won't.
What if you have a problem with the RG6 half of the cable (or vice versa) and need to repull it? You're pulling both out.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
On the main floor, I'm thinking my drops are as follows:

Living Room Over fireplace: 4x CAT6, 2x RG6 (TV)
Living Room Wall between front windows: 4x CAT6, 2x RG6 (TV)
Living Room Wall by steps: 2x CAT6
Over kitchen counter: 4x CAT6 (two locations, possible future landline/VOIP)
Laundry Room: 2x CAT6 (future smart appliances or landline/VOIP)
Master Bedroom front wall: 4x CAT6 (2 each side)
Master Bedroom (out)side wall: 2x CAT6
Master Bedroom back wall: 4x CAT6, 2x RG6 (TV)
Master Bedroom closet wall: 4x CAT6, 2x RG6 (TV)
Master Bedroom closet (inside): 2x CAT6 (shelf level)
Front Porch floor level: 2x CAT6
Back Patio: 4x CAT6, 2X RG6 (TV)
(2x) Upstairs Bedrooms: 2 walls: 4x CAT6, 2x RG6, 2 walls: 2x CAT6
Upstairs Storage Area: 2x CAT6
Front corners of roof: 2x CAT6 (each side) (cameras)
Rear left corner: 2x CAT6 (camera)
Rear right corner/patio roof: 4x CAT6 (camera)
Rear / generator: 2x CAT6

That's 76 or so cat6 pulls, if I'm adding them up right. I'll probably add a few more in the basement, but those are what I'm thinking for now. I don't expect to have all of them hot at any given time, but I want the wire in the wall and punched down in the basement. I'm going to prioritize certain runs then go back and fill in until I run out of wire. 3k ft for now gives me just under 40ft per run on average.

It's ridiculous overkill, but I figure it's my one chance to really geek out a bit.

Curious as to why?

My budget doesn't support using it so I won't.
I'm going to say that budget and lack of understanding as to what it is prevents me from using it. :clapping:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
That's impressive
We'll see what I can actually pull off. I probably should order a second patch panel. We'll see how many runs I actually get pulled, then order another if I need to.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
If you want to mark up a drawing and send it to me I'll wheel off the footages. That sounds really low for an average.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
If you want to mark up a drawing and send it to me I'll wheel off the footages. That sounds really low for an average.
I'm probably not going to be able to do everything I want with the 3k ft. I forgot to include ceiling mount WAPs too. I may drop by 4x pulls for TVs upstairs and just stick with two per wall. I may also back off the double pulls to the lower priority locations. I think the upstairs pulls will be 30ft minimum.

edit: unfortunately, I don't have them all drawn out right yet. not sure if I'll have time before starting pulling or not.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Where's your patch panel going?
Basement closet beside steps. Closer to the front of the house but still somewhat central. Figure I'll have pulls coming down either the front or back at the central location, then between the joists to the closet. Don't want to traverse joists. Want two bundles coming into the closet. One from fron one from back.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Let me know when it ships, it should hit a day or two after that.
Some other stuff that I ordered using the referral was delivered this week. Should get something for that by now, I'd think.