• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You're going to do 4-port face plates, 2 ethernet/2coax, on each wall of the bedrooms?!?!?
That's my current plan. I may pull all four but install a 3-port plate with 2x ethernet and 1x coax with the spare coax in place for future or replacement use. I may scale back my plans for 4x ethernet and 2x coax in the master bedroom and leave that for just the likely TV location(s) in the living room. I'm less worried about the pulls and more worried about the plates sticking out like a sore thumb. That said, I want to pull every wire I could ever need before the walls are closed. I absolutely hate not having wired network connections where I need them and I hate having to pull ethernet through finished walls.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
That's my current plan. I may pull all four but install a 3-port plate with 2x ethernet and 1x coax with the spare coax in place for future or replacement use. I may scale back my plans for 4x ethernet and 2x coax in the master bedroom and leave that for just the likely TV location(s) in the living room. I'm less worried about the pulls and more worried about the plates sticking out like a sore thumb. That said, I want to pull every wire I could ever need before the walls are closed. I absolutely hate not having wired network connections where I need them and I hate having to pull ethernet through finished walls.
:beerchug:

I'm not sure you need TWO coax at each faceplate, but other than that, I approve :mrtiphat:

Oh, and please don't pull Cat5e, especially to the camera locations.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
:beerchug:

I'm not sure you need TWO coax at each faceplate, but other than that, I approve :mrtiphat:

Oh, and please don't pull Cat5e, especially to the camera locations.
I'm planning on non-CCA Cat6. I'm thinking I'll pull two coax so that I have spares in place, but only wire up one in each location. I plan on using Comcast for both TV and internet, so I won't need 2 pulls at the same time. I want them in place, however, since my old DirectTV unit required two and it really sucked having to pull that second one. Don't think the current stuff uses two, but it can't hurt.... plus I'm not using a lot of coax so I should have plenty.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Planning low voltage drops. Thinking I'm going to wire the entire second floor to a patch panel in the storage area under the roofline in the back of the house. Figure I can put a switch there, then pull 4 runs from there to the basement with conduit for future needs. First floor will be pulled to a patch panel in the basement.

Going to pull Cat5/6 to each corner of the eaves for future camera installs. Would like to have full outdoor coverage plus the front porch, rear patio, and garage. I'm leaning towards the Ubiquiti cameras. I think they scale pretty well and use POE which should streamline the install.

I'm going to have network drops all over the place. Hate wanting to put a computer or TV somewhere but not having cable/network drops. Pretty much every wall in the bedrooms and living room will have connections. Two each ethernet and cable at each location. Four ethernet for living room and master bedroom TV connections. I dislike having to install a switch so that my various components can have ethernet.

Also going to have ceiling mounted Unifi WAPs, plus a couple outdoors and some outdoor jacks (generator, patio, porch) for things like TVs.
Nice!

Any plans for who house audio? I wish I had that and some automation.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm also thinking that the patch panel upstairs paired with a switch will negate the need to pull a ton of wires from the second floor to the basement. I figure I can pull 4 through conduit from the patch panel down. May only use on initially to connect the upstairs switch to the basement switch, but could use a second for dedicated camera traffic and the other two for WAP connections to the managed switch.

Nice!

Any plans for who house audio? I wish I had that and some automation.
I go back and forth on that. On one had, I had that at the Compound and never used it, and on the other hand the time to do it is before the drywall goes up. I'm not super keen on surface mount speakers because I don't like the idea of having one go bad and having to modify the mounting to replace it. The other issue is the desire to have multiple TV locations wired up. If anything, I'll probably pull the conductors and have jack plates rather than surface mounting speakers.

edit: I also figure that Cat6 can cover audio and automation outside of TV surround sound stuff.

Last edited:

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I'm also thinking that the patch panel upstairs paired with a switch will negate the need to pull a ton of wires from the second floor to the basement. I figure I can pull 4 through conduit from the patch panel down. May only use on initially to connect the upstairs switch to the basement switch, but could use a second for dedicated camera traffic and the other two for WAP connections to the managed switch.

I go back and forth on that. On one had, I had that at the Compound and never used it, and on the other hand the time to do it is before the drywall goes up. I'm not super keen on surface mount speakers because I don't like the idea of having one go bad and having to modify the mounting to replace it. The other issue is the desire to have multiple TV locations wired up. If anything, I'll probably pull the conductors and have jack plates rather than surface mounting speakers.

edit: I also figure that Cat6 can cover audio and automation outside of TV surround sound stuff.
Just not a music person or hard because you have a toddler and the only time you would listen to it is when they are sleeping so it would wake them up?

I would love Sonos throughout my house. Especially in the shower and garage.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Just not a music person or hard because you have a toddler and the only time you would listen to it is when they are sleeping so it would wake them up?

I would love Sonos throughout my house. Especially in the shower and garage.
Not much of a music person. Listen in the car and at the gym. That's pretty much it.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I haven't had time to really dig into it, but I was having issues with the ERL at the new house. I had a customer swap one out so I took their old one to the new house to get set up while using the original at the old place.

I tried setting some DHCP reservations on LAN1 and found that if the MAC already had a lease (which it typically would), that it would show the lease despite having a static reservation and the device would never get a DHCP response. I tried fiddling with the DHCP lease time to try to have the original lease expire but never could get it to work.

I *think* the issue is related to having multiple DHCP servers set with the same MAC in different DHCP servers, but I'm not sure. I had started laying out VLANs with the intention of getting a managed switch and had created DHCP servers to accommodate them with IP reservations already in place. For some reason that caused issues when I tried to reserve an IP for the same MAC on a different DHCP server (different/no-vlan).

Need to spend some more time fiddling with it, but I feel like that's a bug. Probably should upgrade the firmware and spend some time on it. For now, I've deleted the unused VLAN DHCP servers and left everything except the WAPs to be dynamically assigned.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
Looks like I'm going to be buying one of these. As much as I like my pFSense homebrew router, they have made the decision to discontinue support of processors without AES-NI support. The whole appeal to the community was the ability to take an old PC, shove in a $25-40 Intel dual NIC and have a very powerful router, with caching, firewall, and VPN. Now, you'll have to pony up for a newer processor that just makes it hard for me to justify, from a value perspective, even with used parts.

pfSense 2.5 and AES-NI

AES-NI processor families: AES instruction set - Wikipedia

SOOO.... are any of you all running the Ubiquti Security Gateway?