• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Got a new DD!

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
One issue is they are not all 6kwh. How fast you can charge depends on the amps your circuit can handle AND what the charger can push (there are multiple power options for at home level 2 chargers) and of course what the car can take. Either way, your 20 miles of charge per hour sounds a lot more like everything I've read. No, I don't have an EV, but I just have a hard time believing that Chevy, Nissan, Tesla, Chargepoint, etc. are all lying about what a 240v at home level 2 charger can do.
The commerical chargers are pretty much all the same, 20 amp or 6-7 kwh. You can do what you want with home chargers. You can get a 40 amp which is around 10 kwh. Wouldnt help me, the leaf inverter is only 6.6 so 6 is the most I can pull.

Teslas have a far bigger inverter and more home charging options. You can go up to a 3 phase charger and get up to 20 kwh

John was talking about something from 13, that's like comparing an IPhone 4 to a Galaxy 8.
ok, but unless the car can't accept a faster level 2 charge the current level 2 chargers should be much faster than 4 miles of charge per hour.

BirdOPrey5 acts like a three prong outlet is the only way to charge a Tesla. :lol: :rolls:

Installing a charger at home is what most people do when they purchase a Tesla. Given that a three prong outlet is only 110v, then yes, you'll only get about 3-4 miles per hour of charge. A majority of people, though, get a Nema 14-50 outlet installed which will easily charge your car overnight. Likely there are very few owners who rely soley on a three prong outlet.
Unless I missed something, they are talking about 240v chargers getting 4 miles per hour of charge. That's what made me question what is going on. Personally, I'd include having an electrician wire in a dedicated 14-50 circuit as part of the cost for buying an electric vehicle.

Takes me maybe 5-6 mins start to finish to pump 26gallons of gas in the Ram and I can go around 500 miles.

:shrug:

Takes me maybe 5-6 mins start to finish to pump 26gallons of gas in the Ram and I can go around 500 miles.

:shrug:
And that's why I don't own an EV.. However, let me play devil's advocate a bit:

Do you have a gas station in your garage?
How about where you work?
How much does that 26 gallons that gets you 500 miles cost you?
How often are you changing the oil in that thing?
While I'm not 100%, I'm reasonably confident nobody has had issues of electrons leaking out and staining the driveway.
The one nobody talks about, maybe for fear of the PC police labeling them as racist: Electric cars are not supporting the middle east.

I'm still going to keep driving gas cars until EVs with vastly improved batteries hit the market.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
And that's why I don't own an EV.. However, let me play devil's advocate a bit:

Do you have a gas station in your garage?
Irrelevant when you can fill the tank in several minutes. You don't need to trickle-fill the tank overnight.

How about where you work?
same as above

How much does that 26 gallons that gets you 500 miles cost you?
Diesel here is 2.35. That would cost about $61. About $0.12 per mile. Dieselwag gets slightly better mileage, so about $0.105 per mile.

How often are you changing the oil in that thing?
While I'm not 100%, I'm reasonably confident nobody has had issues of electrons leaking out and staining the driveway.
The one nobody talks about, maybe for fear of the PC police labeling them as racist: Electric cars are not supporting the middle east.

I'm still going to keep driving gas cars until EVs with vastly improved batteries hit the market.

You don't have to convince me, I'm still a gasser for now. However, price per mile does matter (which includes maintenance and not just fuel price and mileage), and home/work charging is NOT irrelevant. I drive a Hummer H2 and typically hit a gas station only once or twice a month and the gas station I use is about 2 blocks outside my neighborhood. Not inconvenient, but still not as good as fueling up at home would be.

As of today the cons still outweigh the pros for me, but you can't deny the pros or label them as irrelevant.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Not to mention if you have some sort of Renewable energy source you may still be able to drive an EV when fossil fuel may not be available.

Not to mention if you have some sort of Renewable energy source you may still be able to drive an EV when fossil fuel may not be available.
yep - and in theory if you have solar panels mounted on the roof you could be slowly (really slowly) recharging anytime you are in the sun.

Of course a similar "without fossil fuels" argument could be made for bio-diesel.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
yep - and in theory if you have solar panels mounted on the roof you could be slowly (really slowly) recharging anytime you are in the sun.

Of course a similar "without fossil fuels" argument could be made for bio-diesel.
The diesel was originally developed to run on peanut oil with the intent that farmers could produce a crop that could provide fuel for their tractors. Hemp oil also makes a great fuel. Diesel could fairly easily be switched to a bio-source but you would never get that past the big-oil lobbyists.

Stu Cozza

is Good for America
Yep - and I agree. Names are too similar.

Volt - an EREV (extended range electric vehicle). Estimaged 54 miles on battery, plugs in just like other EVs. If you go farther than that the engine comes on mainly to just charge the battery and gets mid 40's mpg. It looks and drives like a typical sedan and you can drive it cross country just like any gas powered car.

Bolt - EV with estimated 238 mile range. Looks more like an economy hatch back.

Despite the similar names, they are very different including looks. However, to make things even more confusing Chevy also makes a car they call a Spark. It's typical gas engine hatch back economy car that kinda sorta looks like the Bolt.. Before the Bolt came out, you could get a Spark EV - yep, an all electric Chevy Spark. Fortunately they dropped the Spark EV when they released the Bolt - the Bolt really is better than the Spark EV was in pretty much every way.
I am waiting for the Chevy Spork.

eryx

EV seems to be minus EV in the future, higher exp value in Hydrogen cars that is coming up. If you wanna purchase right now, maybe hold a Tesla for a couple of years. Fugly tho.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I've seen no evidence hydrogen powered cars are the next big thing. Do you have any sources on that?

There are a couple companies pushing Hydrogen fuel cell cars, but they seem to be the minority. They do have advantages like being an electric vehicle, just with a fuel cell instead of a battery bank. This means decent range and easy fill up, just like a gas car. Down side is they are even more expensive than battery EVs and there isn't an infrastructure for hydrogen fueling stations. If/when ICE cars go away and electric is the only option, if fast battery charging hasn't been reached then hydrogen fuel cell vehicles may have a shot. Really though that's the major issue I see, fuel cell EVs are banking on he idea that battery EVs will not have quick charging or otherwise not be a reasonable option for long trips.

Personally, I think new battery tech will emerge that will combine longer range and quicker charging. Supercapacitors, solid state batteries, whatever.