• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Can I swap just CPU's on a MB?

Hubjeep

:hub: :hub2:
Ultra-Premium
I have two socket AM3 AMD 4-core processors, one is about a year newer than the other, can I turn the machine off, swap them out and turn it on or does OS need to be reinstalled?

Ralph

VIP
As long as the mobo supports the new CPU. Just because the socket is the same, doesn't necessarily mean the CPU and mobo are compatible.

Assuming it works, you will also likely go through a "new hardware detected" regimen when windows boots up for the first time.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I have two socket AM3 AMD 4-core processors, one is about a year newer than the other, can I turn the machine off, swap them out and turn it on or does OS need to be reinstalled?
Don't even turn off the machine... if you can replace the CPU in less then the time it takes for 1 cpu operation you shouldn't have a problem.

neevo

Limey Hippo
Don't even turn off the machine... if you can replace the CPU in less then the time it takes for 1 cpu operation you shouldn't have a problem.
Or, to put it into perspective. Can you do the swap quicker than a woman takes to change her mind?

If the MB supports the new CPU, no prob. No re-install needed. Upgrading the BIOS like Justin says isn't a bad idea, but personally I'm a bit lazy about that and would check to see what has been fixed/updated in new BIOS to see if it's necessary or even worth the effort.