• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

LED lighting

The can lights should be easy to find in cool white.
I can't find what we originally bought on HD's website - it's a bulb/trim kit for a standard can (was cheaper that way). Dimmable was also a consideration since we put all of the basement cans on dimmer switches (3 separate sets of them with their own switch - bar, main area of TV space and then two over the back of the couch). If they ever need replaced, I will look harder for cool white, but for now it's not a consideration. We don't usually have all of the lights on at once down there anyway. If we're watching TV in the basement, the cans are on, if I'm just running down to grab a drink, I use the strip lighting since it's plenty bright.

Right now he's on the warpath to find cool white LED bulbs for the three pendants over the bar. :banghead:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Sam's Club still has 100w GE LED bulbs for $9.95. I need to grab some of the outdoor floods. Maybe I'll climb a ladder over Thanksgiving. :eek:

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
This is one of my winter/spring projects on the boat as well.
I bought all of my bulbs from China on eBay. Started with finding others on the net who had the same type of bulb is me. My RV has an automotive type 921 bulb. Bought a few from the recommended seller and then tried a couple of different options. It worked out really well

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
There is a shit ton of mark up on LEDs
With this, I agree. Having been in the industry I can verify his statement.

LED lighting isn't in its infancy.
With this, I disagree. There is a shit ton of emerging technology regarding LED that is making them brighter with lower heat and lower power consumption. One fairly recent breakthrough was using gallium nitride in the growth of the crystals. So while LED's technically have been around for a long time, they are in their technological infancy compared to incandescent.

Ardvark

I switched over the living room (has 6 cans in it) went from 65 watt incandescent flood lights to 6 - 65 watt LED lights. Walmart had Great Value brand for under $8 each

ALOT brighter, should have stepped it down

As I swap things over to LED as things burn out I have taken to using dialectic grease on the threads. If they do in fact last 20 years I want the damn things to come out!

Ralph

VIP
As I swap things over to LED as things burn out I have taken to using dialectic grease on the threads. If they do in fact last 20 years I want the damn things to come out!
I've used bulb grease for a long time. Beats the shit out of extracting a busted bulb.