• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Is my house going to fall down?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
So it's been 10 years since the drywall was put up and there has been no painting done since.

In the last year this crack developed along an interior wall, the left side of the picture is an exterior wall to the side of my house.

Outside the house, on the side to the left of this picture, the concrete has been shifting, it has been getting worse every year. The old owners had all this concrete redone back in the summer of 2004. I purchased in in summer 2005.

Screwdriver there for depth:

Is this stuff just normal wear and tear?

My house is only about 7 feet away from my neighbors in this spot and they haven't had a working side gutter in the 10 years I've been here so all raid just goes right between the houses- their side of the fence is grass so I suspect all the water just takes the dirt underneath the concrete away with it.

Yeah it's ugly but I don't believe there is any larger issue here- but wanted to get opinions.

Max Power

Joe's Legs
Staff member
Administrator
Before I say anything, rest assured that I am not a conspiracy theorist. If I take these pictures at face value, I'd say this is normal. Given that, I think there's more at play here. All I know is that you live in a very active area for chemtrails. Look for any correlation between planes flying overhead and the crack getting bigger.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
goddamn if I had my neighbor's unfettered rain water flowing on my property my panties would be in an epic twist.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'm a firm believer in letting people do what they want on their property. I should have some means of dealing with it on my own.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm a firm believer in letting people do what they want on their property. I should have some means of dealing with it on my own.
I agree with letting people do what they want up to the point where they cause damage to your property, at which time their activities become something I will object to.

You should start watching a few episodes of Holmes on Homes to get an understanding of how water can fawk your foundation and house.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
I agree with letting people do what they want up to the point where they cause damage to your property, at which time their activities become something I will object to.
What if it was a gun range on BOP's neighbor's yard and not a nonexistent gutter?

jjj

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
What do you guys think about this... the other side of the house the grass comes right up to the side of the house.

I really have no reason to need concrete on this side of the house... I'm sure it would be far cheaper to just have the concrete removed and fill in with dirt then re-done.

Is there any reason that would be a bad idea?

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
as long as they don't crack your foundation busting it out. I have a big slab out back that used to house a well that I leave alone for that very reason.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
What if it was a gun range on BOP's neighbor's yard and not a nonexistent gutter?

jjj
Did the gun range cause erosion under his concrete? :puzzled:

What do you guys think about this... the other side of the house the grass comes right up to the side of the house.

I really have no reason to need concrete on this side of the house... I'm sure it would be far cheaper to just have the concrete removed and fill in with dirt then re-done.

Is there any reason that would be a bad idea?
That wouldn't solve the water problem.

Ardvark

So there isn't a discharge of water from his house? Its just coming off his roof and onto sidewalk and flowing toward your house?

Ardvark

I'm suspecting the best solution would be to dig it all up.

Put a french drain in that discharges to the back alley or front street. The put grass or do an Arizona yard and just bring gravel the whole way up.

Ardvark

Last post....the Crack inside is most likely not connected to the outside. There would be other cracks in foundation or exterior walls.

The sidewalk was properly not done right 10 years ago and is just shifting cause of water and ice and freezing and thawing etc

Ardvark

I lied..this is the last post. If you are convinced it is his rainwater doing this, offer to pay for a gutter and downspout on his house. Cheaper than tearing all that up and putting a drain in

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Jesus Christ...

On rare occasion (heaviest and prolonged rain) we get in the basement but when we do it's usually the back of the house, not this side. This side get water even less often.

It's just rain runoff going between the houses,

It's not really a problem if there's no concrete or it isn't the cause of the concrete sinking.

Very possible they did a cheap job knowing they were selling the house and it only needed to last a year.