• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Saying something is a single player game is not at all the same as saying something is JUST a single player game. I done have to play halo 5 online to enjoy it - know what I'm saying?
Point being that the video game industry is centered around the multiplayer aspect of games. Sure, they have single player modes, but the focus is the multiplayer aspect. Nobody is making blockbuster single player games anymore. It just doesn't happen. The market demands multiplayer and that's what you get.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Point being that the video game industry is centered around the multiplayer aspect of games. Sure, they have single player modes, but the focus is the multiplayer aspect. Nobody is making blockbuster single player games anymore. It just doesn't happen. The market demands multiplayer and that's what you get.
Halo 5 wouldn't be 90GB installed if that were true. It wouldn't have taken Rockstar a year and a half to make GTA 5 worth a shit online if that were true :paper:

It's definitely sliding that way and has been for a long time, but still not there. 50GB downloads to install rather than 4 discs in the box is ****ing stupid, no way will my take on that change. They sell games as downloads and as packaged merchandise, I believe the packaged merchandise should actually include the game instead of just 1/4 of it.

Last edited:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It's definitely sliding that way and has been for a long time, but still not there. 50GB downloads to install rather than 4 discs in the box is ****ing stupid, no way will my take on that change. They sell games as downloads and as packaged merchandise, I believe the packaged merchandise should actually include the game instead of just 1/4 of it.
Start a class action lawsuit.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Halo 5 wouldn't be 90GB installed if that were true.
What, exactly, do you think the 90gb consists of? Code for the single player mode? No, it's mainly textures for the game as a whole. You also have to realize that today's games are much more immersive and graphical than games of old. You simply can't fit everything you need to play these games on a single disc. If you could, you wouldn't want to anyway because the performance coming from optical disc compared to spindle hard drive is atrocious.

I'm actually considering a USB SSD for my Xbox so I can load my games faster.

It wouldn't have taken Rockstar a year and a half to make GTA 5 worth a shit online if that were true :paper:
If we had it your way, Rockstar wouldn't have been able to fix the glitches and problems because you want "to be able to stick the disc in and play without downloads".

Don't disagree that it's stupid to have both mediums. I personally think the discs need to be gone entirely. I'd rather see the video game industry pushing ISPs to expand their reach than packaging discs to ship out. I flat out refuse to buy any more games on disc. No way in hell am I going back to having to swap discs to play my games.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
They should have used some proprietary flash memory sticks to hold the games, faster than even USB3, with as much memory as needed to hold the game and also some free for patches if needed. Basically- go back to cartridges.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
They should have used some proprietary flash memory sticks to hold the games, faster than even USB3, with as much memory as needed to hold the game and also some free for patches if needed. Basically- go back to cartridges.
I had hoped that was going to be the case for all manner of non-downloadable software delivery.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
What, exactly, do you think the 90gb consists of? Code for the single player mode? No, it's mainly textures for the game as a whole. You also have to realize that today's games are much more immersive and graphical than games of old. You simply can't fit everything you need to play these games on a single disc. If you could, you wouldn't want to anyway because the performance coming from optical disc compared to spindle hard drive is atrocious.

If we had it your way, Rockstar wouldn't have been able to fix the glitches and problems because you want "to be able to stick the disc in and play without downloads".

Don't disagree that it's stupid to have both mediums. I personally think the discs need to be gone entirely. I'd rather see the video game industry pushing ISPs to expand their reach than packaging discs to ship out. I flat out refuse to buy any more games on disc. No way in hell am I going back to having to swap discs to play my games.

Will is one of those lazy software developers I mentioned, do not expect him to agree with you Brandon. :party:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Will is one of those lazy software developers I mentioned, do not expect him to agree with you Brandon. :party:
Today's mantra is that if your MVP doesn't embarrass you, you launched too late. :pirate:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You can do that now. You don't have to buy physical copies anymore.
I don't think you're understanding what Joe and I are talking about. I'm quite well aware that you don't have to get physical media anymore. What we're talking about is that when you desire physical media to actually get it in a pluggable USB format rather than on an optical disc. You can't go to the store and buy COD-BO3 on a memory stick.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium

You're misinterpreting which portions I'm bitching about. As such, I can't tell if you disagree or I'm just not being clear.

I don't mind the install. I don't want to swap discs either. I think it's a dick move of MS to have drives small enough that you'll have to add storage to have more than a few games playable, but it is what it is.

The software is available via download code or retail packaging. You clearly prefer downloads. I prefer packaging. My internet connection is not conveniently robust enough to handle 50+GB downloads. Patches and updates? Sure. Online gaming? No sweat. But it takes me a day or more to download 50+GB. I'd rather drive to WalMart than wait that long. I think it's ****ed that they sell me a little bit of it at WalMart and still require I download it anyway. That problem gets compounded with the minimal storage. If I uninstalled Halo 5 today to play the new COD instead, when I went back to Halo I'd have to download 50GB again. I think that's horseshit.

Just wanted to clarify because you keep saying I want to swap discs, which isn't what I'm meaning to say.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Gotcha. Crappy internet is crappy.

Also, I don't buy every game that comes out, so I honestly have never gotten to the point where I needed additional storage.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
I don't think you're understanding what Joe and I are talking about. I'm quite well aware that you don't have to get physical media anymore. What we're talking about is that when you desire physical media to actually get it in a pluggable USB format rather than on an optical disc. You can't go to the store and buy COD-BO3 on a memory stick.
I didn't know you were talking about that.

Ardvark

I haven't played video games since the nintendo cartridge. I was fine with putting the cartridge in did up up down down left right left right b a and play all night.
Downside was the only people you could talk to or play with had to be in the room with you

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Thought I would play Online for the first time... Now I find out I have to pay to play online, just like Microsoft. It used to be free online play on the PS3.

Not the biggest deal but of course I take the 2 day trial (really, 2 days?) and the online play doesn't even work. Been sitting on a screen "checking files" for 10 minutes. Then it started downloading, and then it went back to the main screen. :naw:

These consoles are so disappointing.

How are these kids with ADHD/ADA dealing with this shit?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Their servers must be overloaded... every time I go to play online it just says "An Error Has Occurred" or I get kicked back to the main screen in the game.

KJVBlueXJ

signaling the Mothership
VIP
Thought I would play Online for the first time... Now I find out I have to pay to play online, just like Microsoft. It used to be free online play on the PS3.

Not the biggest deal but of course I take the 2 day trial (really, 2 days?) and the online play doesn't even work. Been sitting on a screen "checking files" for 10 minutes. Then it started downloading, and then it went back to the main screen. :naw:

These consoles are so disappointing.

How are these kids with ADHD/ADA dealing with this shit?
PS+ membership is required to pay online for the PS4. I still have a Ps3, but I've been a PS+ member the whole time. It's worth it for the amount of free games and dlc that they give to members, plus the heavy discounts you can get on a bunch of content.

I assume that's still the case on the PS4.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I wouldn't mind paying if I can play an online game when I want to and not have to wait until they are ready.

I did manage to get online... it was a disaster... played 3 free for all rounds before I managed a single kill.

People be walking on walls and shit.

The original COD2 was my favorite online game, a bunch of gun choices but otherwise, simple- Everyone obeys the same laws of physics...

Status
Not open for further replies.