• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Floor Plan

Huge difference between knowing they would not get the project vs. giving them an opportunity to earn the business.

As for your later designs, I thought the bathroom stuff could not be over the garage? Your designs are getting better, using that huge wasted closet space from the beginning for better things, but it also looks like your original "requirements" are no longer requirements.

From your last drawing, I'd replace the pantry with the fridge. Then move the master bedroom wall down a couple feet and put a much larger pantry there. 19'6" vs 17'6" isn't going to make any difference in how big the room feels.
Some good friends of ours have a ginormous master bedroom...20'x15'-ish and 10' ceilings, and it was just a really uncomfortable room. Our 12'x12' is pretty tight, fortunately we don't have dressers or side tables or anything, just a bed, so it is ok. Id imagine something in the middle...14'x14'ish would be large enough but still cozy.

John

Transplant
VIP
What is your reasoning for that? I've always been attracted to the higher ceilings in houses we've looked at.
9-10' ceilings are a fairly inexpensive way to add resale value. I have no idea why he is advising against this.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Huge difference between knowing they would not get the project vs. giving them an opportunity to earn the business.

As for your later designs, I thought the bathroom stuff could not be over the garage? Your designs are getting better, using that huge wasted closet space from the beginning for better things, but it also looks like your original "requirements" are no longer requirements.
Not sure how fixed the bathroom requirements and the garage are. I still plan to explore the wall situation there with the builder before we firm things up.

From your last drawing, I'd replace the pantry with the fridge. Then move the master bedroom wall down a couple feet and put a much larger pantry there. 19'6" vs 17'6" isn't going to make any difference in how big the room feels.
Good point. The fridge is there to break up the counter so I can use single pieces of stone without seams. That's a preference I have because I like the stone that can't be seamed well.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Good point. The fridge is there to break up the counter so I can use single pieces of stone without seams. That's a preference I have because I like the stone that can't be seamed well.
They will seam the c-top behind your farmer sink. Stone should be 10' long X 5' wide X your thickness.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
They will seam the c-top behind your farmer sink. Stone should be 10' long X 5' wide X your thickness.
I find it to be cleaner without seams, but behind an apron sink would be the only acceptable place I can think that wouldn't really bother me.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I find it to be cleaner without seams, but behind an apron sink would be the only acceptable place I can think that wouldn't really bother me.
They will push for that location. The risk of breaking there is high. They should be able to seam it very well. You'll have a seam at the peninsula too. Anytime there's a direction change, you'll have a seam. 99% of the time they'll seam the sinks to mitigate breakage and warranty claims. The entire kitchen cabinet/counter/floor system will settle and that's when you'll get the breakage.

If you go with a tile splash on that exterior wall, request a modified grout. That'll give it some flex and mitigate cracking. They won't raise the install price like they would on epoxy. Modified is urethane based. Much easier to install and work with.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I actually drew the penisula to 9x5 assuming the range would be a slide in model negating the need for a seam there. With that layout, it's all individual pieces less than 9x5.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
YOU CAN'T PUT MASTER BATHROOM PLUMBING ALL THE WAY OVER THERE!!!!!!1111

EXTREME SANITARY!!!!!!111

Use a sink or stove to break up the counter, not the fridge. Or.... As much as I dislike butcher block, I'd rather use that than the fridge to avoid seams.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Use a sink or stove to break up the counter, not the fridge. Or.... As much as I dislike butcher block, I'd rather use that than the fridge to avoid seams.
This version still uses a fridge to break up the counter, but it makes a cleaner "work triangle" and still leaves some additional counter space to the right. Also shows a built in pantry setup where it's part of the cabinet space. Sink is on the island along with dish washer.

Rearranged the stairs to put the turn at the top with a landing at the bottom to free up a little space between the door and the stairs. While technically 1 step up, it seems more appealing than the previous iteration. Uses the "wasted" space under the turn of the steps as a coat closet. This assumes that the basement steps have a landing in roughly the same space then turn to the left or right in a more traditional style.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
what's the protruding portion from the master bath all about?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
what's the protruding portion from the master bath all about?
Dormer. I don't think the stairs will work in that example. Not enough headroom for the basement stairs I think.