• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Home theater

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Yeah. Dark purple.

Glidden had a dark purple called Voodoo. Used that for my computer/music room, with medium gray trim. Nice room to wind down in.

Not sure what the equivalent is. I know they had pulled the color chips off the display at HD but I had saved the lid with the recipe and they made me a new quart for touch up.

Last edited:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
damn

I was hoping this was something technical so we could say to ask Chris142 like usual :pirate:

Ardvark

The room is 13 by 18 the screen will be on the 13 foot wall ceilings are 7 foot 10 hardwood floors three walls are solid there is no fourth wall which will be on the side opposite of the screen there will be a bar there how many speakers what size what frequency what watts

Meh

Born-Again Hawaiian
VIP
Dunn Edwards has a shade of purple called Dewberry that we painted ours.

You didn't mention budget, but basically you have to work with what is available to listen to at your local showroom. You might not even get close to what you think you are getting, but if they come FR your room you might end up satisfied.
visit some home audio forums and do plenty of research before you move from HTIB to something more "permanent."

I'm trying to drum up some sort of side income in the audio business (now that I'm "disabled") to give the crappy "home theatre companies" some real competition, instead of just putting speakers and a screen in someone's home and telling them "it's the best!" I do cabinet design and experiment with SPL measurement to see what really makes "room gain" sound the least bit decent, and then go for better results with more reliable and way less-expensive equipment.

Meh

Born-Again Hawaiian
VIP
I'm kinda a novice and not hard to impress with the sound
I'm still impressed by my 1990's Kenwood 5.1 HTIB, although I built new fronts and it is now in the livingroom. I think the "active" 10 sub is rated @ 120w. The other channels see about 50 clean watts, even in 3D mode.

There are so many receivers to choose from today. Just make sure you get enough wattage so surround sound will actually work. 5.1 is basic, but you really won't need much more. 7.1 or 7.2 (I'd go with 7.2 to balance out the subs or match most of the sub amps' signal gains these days) or higher is just more $$$ and more channels that you probably won't even notice in that small of a room. Speakers...this is probably where you'd be better off with HTIB - everything should be "tuned" to match.

For all but the most picky, a 5.1 soundbar is a great option. The only exception is if you have several devices and want to use the receiver to switch between inputs. Otherwise it's just a big ugly device that doesn't add anything.

Meh

Born-Again Hawaiian
VIP
I forgot - make sure you get a receiver with HDMI input. I got one "customer" that asked me how to convert RCA to HDMI for their new TV and DVD player.

:shrug:

Ardvark

I forgot - make sure you get a receiver with HDMI input. I got one "customer" that asked me how to convert RCA to HDMI for their new TV and DVD player.

:shrug:
I'd love to incorporate my grandfather's radio shack (realistic) receiver from 1980. He loved that radio. But ill leave it in my garage for now