LAST EXIT ON THE INTERNET

JUOT - Joe's Ultimate Off Topic > Off Topic (OT) > Off Topic (Public)

Notices

Off Topic (Public) Any thread don't mind being public (visible to guests and indexed by search engines) should be posted here. Be nice, these are posts people will see before they decide to join.

Old Tue 07/25/2017, 06:48 AM #1
BirdOPrey5
JUOT Founder & Admin

BirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angel
Send a message via AIM to BirdOPrey5
Arrow I'm more excited for The Orville than Star Trek Discovery

It's sad.

I just realized The Orville crew has Star Trek DS9's Kasidy Yates, the eventual 2nd wife of Captain Sisko and convicted Marqi sympathizer.

On the other hand Stat Trek Discovery ignores the established Star Trek Timeline and canon and their director thinks 13 episodes a season is 3 too many when every previous trek has been 20+ a season.

Screw you Discovery & CBS, I hope you aren't renewed.

At least the new movies had the decency to claim to be a different timeline.

The Orville:

Star Trek Discovery:
-Joe (This is Post #5,155,010)

After a time you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true...
BirdOPrey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue 07/25/2017, 11:49 AM #2
redshirt25
Overt Lurker

redshirt25 has a spectacular aura aboutredshirt25 has a spectacular aura aboutredshirt25 has a spectacular aura aboutredshirt25 has a spectacular aura aboutredshirt25 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
At least the new movies had the decency to claim to be a different timeline.
I thought the movies were great in bringing in a new audience to the franchise but if you are making a series you kinda need to stick to the timeline.
redshirt25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 07/27/2017, 08:06 PM #3
starscream

starscream has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I will not be watching it.

Last edited by starscream; Thu 07/27/2017 at 08:10 PM.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri 07/28/2017, 05:24 AM #4
BirdOPrey5
JUOT Founder & Admin

BirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post
I will not be watching it.
Which one won't you be watching?
Old Fri 07/28/2017, 09:28 AM #5
skeptic
The 'In' Crowd

skeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to skeptic

There is also going to be a Lost in Space reboot....
skeptic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri 07/28/2017, 12:13 PM #6
BirdOPrey5
JUOT Founder & Admin

I never watched the original.
Old Fri 07/28/2017, 02:00 PM #7
skeptic
The 'In' Crowd

skeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond repute

Neither did I - but I thought this thread was generically about all upcoming space shows.
Old Tue 09/12/2017, 06:26 PM #8
BirdOPrey5
JUOT Founder & Admin

So The Orville premiered Sunday Night, unfortunately against the Hurricane I'm sure the ratings weren't that great. They are repeating the premier on Fox tonight at 9PM.

I really enjoyed it. Mostly it captured that sense of wonder in really not knowing what you would see or how different they would be that you probably can't get in Star Trek at this point- or at least- I wouldn't want to get because I should already be familiar with how Trek goes, at least everything since WW3 to the end of Voyager. (Arguably even 30 years post TNG from "All Good Things..." and some idea that around the 29th century Time Travel becomes as routine as warp travel.

Still, those were merely "likely" futures are could be altered without hurting canon.

The Orville was a fresh face on an old story.

Instead of Starfleet in San Francisco near the Golden Gate Bridge it's the Planetary Union Central in New York near the Brooklyn Bridge.

THey have Holodecks but no idea on what they are called. Quantum Drive instead of Warp Drive. Etc... It is very clear what things were supposed to be. I really wish this could have been done as a Star Trek, not every ship has the best Captain and crew in the fleet, this would be the story of the 90% of Starfleet we don't get to see.

Anyway it maintained my interest, I hope it gets a chance to really shine.
Old Tue 09/12/2017, 09:55 PM #9
skeptic
The 'In' Crowd

It did seem to be a bit of a spoof of Star Trek. First episode was entertaining enough I suppose, but if it goes too goofy I'll quit. Things like the one alien only taking a piss once a year is supposed to be funny I guess, but came off as a bit dumb to me. I like smart humor, not goofy slapstick - The Orville is bumping right against the "this is stupid, not funny" line with me, but I'll see how it goes.
Old Wed 09/13/2017, 06:08 AM #10
BirdOPrey5
JUOT Founder & Admin

I think the humor will eventually subside. Only because Mcfarlane wanted to do a real Star Trek. He pulled strings to get a short role as a random ensign on Enterprise because he's a big Star Trek fan.

Honestly though the alien answering "that's unfortunate" to Mcfarlane's "I'm up 2 or 3 times a night" wasn't bad. The robot that believes it is far superior to organic beings hopefully will bring some deeper humor. I liked how he got cut off when talking about the fleet size of 3000 ships not being very much compared to the size of the galaxy.

I'm not sure Star Trek ever mentioned the fleet size in any particular series but is seems disturbingly small when the Enterprise is so often the only ship available or the only ship in range. Hell in Star Trek 5 we are supposed to believe Enterprise that was only half done was the best option to send to Nimbus III, no other experienced crew anywhere near Earth? What about defenses?
Old Wed 09/13/2017, 09:44 AM #11
skeptic
The 'In' Crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
I think the humor will eventually subside. Only because Mcfarlane wanted to do a real Star Trek. He pulled strings to get a short role as a random ensign on Enterprise because he's a big Star Trek fan.

Honestly though the alien answering "that's unfortunate" to Mcfarlane's "I'm up 2 or 3 times a night" wasn't bad.
Yup, and there were other good bits of humor as well. I didn't mean to imply there were no funny parts, just that some of the attempts are humor missed the mark.
Quote:
The robot that believes it is far superior to organic beings hopefully will bring some deeper humor. I liked how he got cut off when talking about the fleet size of 3000 ships not being very much compared to the size of the galaxy.

I'm not sure Star Trek ever mentioned the fleet size in any particular series but is seems disturbingly small when the Enterprise is so often the only ship available or the only ship in range. Hell in Star Trek 5 we are supposed to believe Enterprise that was only half done was the best option to send to Nimbus III, no other experienced crew anywhere near Earth? What about defenses?
Aren't you afraid you'll lose your Star Trek card for pointing out major logic holes in a ST movie?
Old Wed 09/13/2017, 12:41 PM #12
BirdOPrey5
JUOT Founder & Admin

Star Trek movies are full of logic holes, they get edited so poorly. The Director's Cut sometimes help.

Still to this day there is no good DVD or BluRay version of Star Trek 6. The Director's Cut was VHS only.

The Director's Cut changes the entire movie.

Even as far back as Stat Trek II, the kid Scotty brings to the bridge for some reason makes little sense. They cut the part where the kid is actually Scotty's nephew.

And 4... How an invisible ship can remain parked in a San Francisco park for days without anyone attempting to cross the field.

But there's just so many...