• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Laser Pegs - Space Fighter Review

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP

Amazon
, eBay.
Overall Rating: :4stars: (Brick quality is improved, instruction manual needs improvement, had two bricks that did not light up that were supposed to)

I had previously posted an

The most noticeable difference is that the bricks used to build the ship are now all tinted with colors. (The light bricks themselves remain clear but with colored LED lights.) Each piece is one color. For example all the 2x4 plates are red and all the 2x10 plates are green. Some parts share the same colors but no single part seems to come in more than one color. I would have to say these colors seem chosen at random, they don't appear to have any significance in the space ship.

The next thing you will notice when building is that the bricks are significantly tighter with each other than they used to be. In fact some bricks were a little too tight and took what I felt was excessive pressure to snap them together. I was afraid they would crack, but to their credit, none did.

When I completed the model and hooked it up to power I did notice two of the light-up bricks were not working, however a third brick further down the chain did light, so power was flowing. It would seem there is a loose connection somewhere as I was evetually able to get some light out of one of the bad light elements but not the other. Luckily Laser Pegs includes a paper on how to get help/replacements if needed.

DSC01729.jpg

The tinted and more tight fitting bricks make for a better looking and stronger final product which you can disconnect from the power base and swoosh around.

The light bricks themselves look and work just as they did in the original model so be sure to see the old review for more info on that.

The box itself looks better, I think, with the black background. The image on it now accurately represents the final product which was a big improvement.

The one I received still had a single sheet of black and white instructions on both sides. I'm told the items will soon ship with full color instruction books. That will be another improvement. In the mean time color instructions are available on the website. LaserPegs.com.

DSC01732.jpg

When you open the box you will note it's significantly larger than it needs to be. Other than the instructions there are 3 neat bags inside.

DSC01726.jpg DSC01727.jpg

DSC01733.jpg DSC01735.jpg

The bricks on the left are the LEGO compatible bricks that are used for the details in the ship. The center bag are the clear light "pegs" that push together and form the general skeleton of the ship. Some pegs have typical studs to connect to to the other bricks, some do not. The right bag contains the power base that the pegs connect to for power. The base will require a phillips head screwdriver to open and 3 AA batteries. There is an optional 5V DC input that can be used in place of batteries but that must be purchased separately. The "wire" in the photo is a second option for connecting the final design to the power base but doesn't make much sense in this particular design. However there are instructions for 15 other designs for this same set online.

DSC01737.jpg DSC01746.jpg

DSC01750.jpg DSC01754.jpg

The build is generally straightforward. The instructions (which are currently a black and white fold out sheet but will soon be a color manual) were easy enough to follow. This is a basic "Studs on top" design akin to LEGO Space designs of the early 90s. I really look forward to future designs as the platform matures. The way the pegs are designed there are great opportunities for designs not possible with other brick systems.

DSC01757.jpg DSC01758.jpg

DSC01759.jpg DSC01763.jpg

You can see the dark spot where unfortunately the two pegs that didn't light were back to back. Even with the dark spot though this is still a colorful and unique design compared to your typical brick spaceships which will have zero or limited lighting.

Still photos can't do the lighting justice, be sure to check out the video above if you haven't already.

DSC01772.jpg

This final picture is a comparison with the older model from the original review.

The bottom line here is the new design is a significant improvement on the old and finally the image on the box now actually resembles the final product which was really my main annoyance with the old version. Some pieces will fit a little tight but they stick together and appear to be strong. However the largest factor on not getting that last star was the fact two of the light up pegs didn't work properly. EVen if they do replace them, which I am sure they will when I contact them, it's never the same when you finish a build only to find pieces broken or missing.

Laser Pegs

Joe,
I'm so sorry you got a couple duds. Man that irritates the heck out of me. No worries though, we'll get the replacements (and a handful of extras) out to you immediately.
Am I correct in guessing these are the 2 parts that didn't light up?

http://www.laserpegs.com/shop/laser-pegs/truss-peg/
and
http://www.laserpegs.com/shop/laser-pegs/square-peg/

Please let me know asap and I'll get some replacements out to you. This will give you a chance to build any of the other models in that set, such as the:
Alien Rover Droid
All Terrain Racer
Automotion
Galactic Chicken
Hover Scooter
Hover Vehicle
Laser Pegs Ionizer
Other Wordly Walker
Space Bug
Space Fighter
Space Marine Troop Lander
Time Warp Generator
Tri-Pedian
Transdimensional Starfighter
Troop Ship Refueling Station
Zombie Ray Gun

You can see all the models it builds here:
http://www.laserpegs.com/g9030b-space-fighter-sci-fi-instructions-manuals/

Same instructions.

Laser Pegs

New looks better, IMO.
Excellent! That's what our fans, customers and resellers asked for and we delivered!
It's a darn shame Joe got 2 bad pegs... We would have loved to get a 5/5 rating. We're going to shoot him out a handful of working pegs to sort him out.

All in all though... It looks like the new sets are going to be a hit for sure!

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Joe,
I'm so sorry you got a couple duds. Man that irritates the heck out of me. No worries though, we'll get the replacements (and a handful of extras) out to you immediately.
Am I correct in guessing these are the 2 parts that didn't light up?

http://www.laserpegs.com/shop/laser-pegs/truss-peg/
and
http://www.laserpegs.com/shop/laser-pegs/square-peg/

Please let me know asap and I'll get some replacements out to you. This will give you a chance to build any of the other models in that set, such as the:
Alien Rover Droid
All Terrain Racer
Automotion
Galactic Chicken
Hover Scooter
Hover Vehicle
Laser Pegs Ionizer
Other Wordly Walker
Space Bug
Space Fighter
Space Marine Troop Lander
Time Warp Generator
Tri-Pedian
Transdimensional Starfighter
Troop Ship Refueling Station
Zombie Ray Gun

You can see all the models it builds here:
http://www.laserpegs.com/g9030b-space-fighter-sci-fi-instructions-manuals/

Same instructions.
Yes, those are indeed the pieces.

Laser Pegs

Yes, those are indeed the pieces.
We're on it, Joe. We'll send the replacements out today. Again, a thousand apologies my friend. Aside from the 2 duds, was there anything else you had a problem with? We really liked the video and seeing the 2 sets side by side was awesome.
Tim

Laser Pegs

While Legos and lasers aren't my thing I've got to hand it to laserpegs here. They saw they had a problem, redeveloped it and are very active in pushing it and follow up. Kudos to them as a company.
Thank you, chite5d!
We do not profess to be perfect, but we sure try to please! We listen to our customers and want all of them to have the best possible experience with our sets. :)
Again, thank you for your feedback!
Tim

Laser Pegs

Joe,
I was having a look at the original video you made and the conversation we were having here, You said the LEGO bricks wouldn't stick to the original sets.... How do they work with the new sets now?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Joe,
I was having a look at the original video you made and the conversation we were having here, Youtube.com/watch?v=a36zRzenJ3U
You said the LEGO bricks wouldn't stick to the original sets.... How do they work with the new sets now?
Like the Laser-Peg on Laser-Peg tests the Laser-Peg on LEGO testing was also improved. I also found the connection between the two to be noticeably tighter than a LEGO on LEGO connection. Noticeably tighter is better than noticeably looser for sure, but it can be a bit annoying, especially when trying to push a lot of studs in at one time. Overall I'd rate the compatibility as "Good." Certainly usable. I noticed it was easier to push a LEGO piece down onto a studs side up Laser Peg brick than the reverse. I suspect the Laser Peg holes are a fraction of a mm smaller than LEGO studs but the studs on the top side of bricks are virtually the same.

Laser Pegs

I have a great deal of respect for this company based on this thread. Well done. I think I'll order a few sets for the nephews.
Brandon,
Thank you. Thank you very much. We appreciate you and everyone else that provides us feedback. We do listen to the people and try to make products that will make everyone happy.
I'm sure your nephews will love any Laser Pegs set they get!
:)

Last edited:

Laser Pegs

Like the Laser-Peg on Laser-Peg tests the Laser-Peg on LEGO testing was also improved. I also found the connection between the two to be noticeably tighter than a LEGO on LEGO connection. Noticeably tighter is better than noticeably looser for sure, but it can be a bit annoying, especially when trying to push a lot of studs in at one time. Overall I'd rate the compatibility as "Good." Certainly usable. I noticed it was easier to push a LEGO piece down onto a studs side up Laser Peg brick than the reverse. I suspect the Laser Peg holes are a fraction of a mm smaller than LEGO studs but the studs on the top side of bricks are virtually the same.
Joe,
Thank you for the feedback. We are constantly working to improve our products and thanks to you, we can!
I'm sure you will be happy with the replacements we shipped you out today.
Please let us all know when they come in! I checked EACH Laser Pegs piece personally and they all worked.
I personally would love to see Laser Pegs video #3 of you making one of the other of the 16 models, or even better, a HYBRID model with Laser Pegs and LEGO! That would be a great way to showcase the sets working together. You can add light to a LEGO set or anything you want.
Just trying to give you a couple ideas.
Again, sincerest apologies for the 2 Laser Pegs.
We're looking forward to hearing from you!
Tim

Last edited:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Tim,

I re-read my quote and I had said things backwards. I fixed my prior post. Sorry about that. I believe the Laser Peg studs are probably about the same as Lego but the holes on bottom are are tighter.

Thanks, I'll post some more creations soon.

Laser Pegs

Hi Joe,
Just a Happy Monday follow up to see if your replacement Laser Pegs parts came in.
Have they arrived yet?
Thanks!
Tim

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Tim,

The box arrived but I didn't get a chance to open it yet. Thank you! Will post some pics when I have some time to build.