• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

2004 Honda 400EX Quad

Socrates Rules

Sage
VIP
too bad it dont got reverse:banghead:
I ride out your way, and have never needed it. use the legs on the tire, or get off and push it. Would be nice to have though, I just bought a Grizzly 660, went to the old man quad.
You have any buddies who are interested I can deliver up your way

chris142

Left the Monestry.
VIP
I'll keep that in mind. Unfortunatly with all the anti ATV rules reciently passed we have all sold the ATV's and got Dual Sport bikes. So far the DS bikes are a way around most of the new laws.

I bought a brand new 05, 400 EX. I hated the seating position. It was set up so that you had to be scrunched up when riding it. Was very uncomfortable for normal trail, riding.

I don't know if my 05 was that much different than yours in that department.

Oh and I used reverse alot to get out of places where pushing it would have brought teh suk.

chris142

Left the Monestry.
VIP
WAT is this regulation you speak of... inform pls
In Sanbernardino and Riverside counties you cant ride an green or red sticker vehicle unless your in an approved off road area such as Johnson valley or a track.

You can't ride on your own property unless you own over 40 acres.

So far having a plated, street legal motorcycle gets you around many of the new laws.

This link shows some of the law. They forgot to mention most of it. I'll try to find the rest.

http://www.ci.hesperia.ca.us/article.cfm?id=297

chris142

Left the Monestry.
VIP
Staff Writer

APPLE VALLEY — Cities and towns are doing it. Counties and the state are too. Placing restrictions on off-highway vehicle users is becoming a fad.

Earlier this year Hesperia, passed an ordinance effectively banning OHV use within the city by making it illegal to ride on private property less than 40 acres.

The Town of Apple Valley followed suit and toughened up an existing law requiring proper mufflers. The town also stiffened penalties for noise and dust.

In Sacramento, the state Legislature recently passed a bill setting a sliding scale of monetary fines for OHV riders convicted of intruding into federal wilderness area.

San Bernardino County could be next. There is a draft OHV ordinance being circulated and discussed at community meetings which would limit OHV use to no closer than 200 yards of a home. It would set penalties of $200 to $1,000 or jail for 90 days, or both. The proposal would also require riders to have written permission before riding on private property and prohibits excessive noise, dust, smoke or fumes.

"We are not trying to have people not ride OHVs. What we want to do is have them ride them in a proper way," said Kim Floyd, a Wrightwood resident. "I think there are unincorporated areas of the county were it is fine to be riding, but it is not fine to be riding on someone else's property without their permission. And it is not fine if it turns into a nuisance."

The ordinance is anticipated to be presented to the San Bernardino County Planning Commission in early November.

High Desert residents interested in learning more about the county's draft ordinance can attend a two-day conference this weekend at the Victor Valley Community College in the Student Activities Center. On Saturday, the event runs from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and from 9 a.m. to noon on Sunday.

Be placed on a mailing list to be updated about the status of the county's OHV ordinance call (800) 722 3181.

The state's legislation, signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger two weeks ago, increases penalties for operators of off-highway vehicles convicted of trespassing onto state and federal wilderness areas.

Assembly bill 1086, authored by Assemblywoman Sally J. Lieber, D-San Jose, was signed by the governor Oct. 6. It was backed by environmental groups and off-highway vehicle groups, including the California Off-Road Vehicle Association.

The legislation is intended to curb the increasing number of OHV riders intruding into wilderness areas. Between 2000 and 2003, the number of trespass violations or warnings issued by the U.S. Forest Service has skyrocketed 242 percent.

"Assembly Bill 1086 serves to deter potential violators and gives law enforcement the tools they need to apprehend willful violators of state and federal wilderness protection laws," Lieber said.

LeRoy Standish may be reached at 951-6277 or lstandish@vvdaily press.com.
__________________________________________________ __

I found this information on the Sierra Club's website:

http://angeles.sierraclub.org/envir...oadVehicleAbuse

Conference on Stopping Off-Road Vehicle Abuse in the California Desert

A conference on stopping off-road vehicle abuse in the california desert will be held in Victorville on October 22 and 23. It will address the growing problem of the siege of our desert communities by uncontrolled off-road vehicle use. The conference will feature presentations of the problem, workshops, a panel with law enforcement and public officials, and strategy sessions.

The conference will be held in the Student Activity Center at Victor Valley College, 18422 Bear Valley Road, Victorville, California. Parking on Saturday is $1.50 (the machines in the parking lot accept only quarters; Sunday parking is free. On Saturday, the event runs from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and from 9 a.m. to noon on Sunday.

For more information, contact Jason Fried at 951-781-1336.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300230&highlight=hesperia

Illegal off-roaders may face fines up to $1,000 in Hesperia
City Council approves urgency ordinance that prohibits backyard riding
By GRETCHEN LOSI/Staff Writer

HESPERIA - Off-roaders had better get used to the idea of using legal trails or they could face fines and even confiscation of their vehicles.

The City Council approved an urgency ordinance Wednesday that prohibits backyard riding on parcels smaller than 40 acres.

The ordinance, which went into effect immediately, was enacted due to a sharp increase of off-highway vehicle complaints over the past couple of years, said Tom Harp, Hesperia's deputy director of developmental services.

Harp said that motorcycle enthusiasts approached city officials two years ago to stop a crackdown on the sport. They wanted the chance to police their own industry.

"The problem ended up getting worse. Since the industry isn't policing itself ... we had to take some action," Harp said.

Not only motorcycles, but off-road vehicles in general, have become a big problem for residents, Harp said.

The ordinance not only will restrict where off-road vehicles can ride, but also imposes fines up to $1,000 for those who choose to ride illegally. The ordinance adds extra law enforcement, and will establish a hot-line to report illegal OHV riding.

The new rules didn't go over well with some off- roaders.

"I think it's bull. I moved us out here so we could play where we live. I might as well have stayed in Orange County," said Juan Jimenez, a Hesperia resident who has lived in the city for three years.

With the new provisions in place, OHV use is prohibited within 200 yards of occupied buildings. Riders can only roam on parcels over 40 acres, which means that most neighborhoods should be quieter.

"We've been waiting a long time for this. We haven't had a quiet afternoon in our backyard since I can remember," James Cochran, a seven-year resident of Hesperia said.

The city also adopted a new section to address so-called nuisance vehicles, stating they can be confiscated if their riders are caught:

- soliciting acts of prostitution while on an off-road vehicle and/or acquiring, attempting to acquire, or transporting a controlled substance on an off-road vehicle;

- illegally dumping trash;

- operating the OHV in the public right-of-way;

- operating the vehicle on land belonging to another person without written permission of the land owner; and

- operating a vehicle off the highway within 200 yards of an occupied building.

Certain vehicles, such as those used for farming and construction, are exempt.

The ordinance guidelines came from researching several cities with similar issues, including Barstow, which was the one chosen to use as a model by Hesperia.

"We don't have a real big problem with (drugs and prostitution) ... Rather than say, 'Let's leave those out until we need them,' we typed one more sentence and just added them in," Harp said.

The city will conduct some 600 hours of law-enforcement activity for the remainder of the fiscal year that will pay for up to eight additional officers.

"It will be an intense enforcement program," Harp said.

Fines for those caught riding illegally will be $100 for the first offense, anywhere from $250 to $500 for the second, and $1,000 for the third.

Riders unwilling to risk a ticket have the option of using two existing off-road parks, Sunrise BMX in Adelanto and the Victorville Motocross Complex.

There are also public off-highway areas available on Bureau of Land Management land at the El Mirage Dry Lake, as well as Off-Highway Vehicle areas in Stoddard and Johnson valleys.

Residents who spot OHV riders disobeying the new ordinance can report the activity via a hot line the city plans to have operating by October.

The city is also developing an educational program to inform riders of the city's laws and requirements.

Educational material may appear in motorcycle magazines, school posters, local billboards and in the bimonthly water bill. The city will use those outlets as well as offer an educational program to teach residents the impacts of off-highway use and where it is legal.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174469&highlight=hesperia

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I love 400ex's. They're so light that reverse really isn't needed IMO.

Hubjeep

:hub: :hub2:
Ultra-Premium
Socrates, do any mods to yours? I am planning nerf bars, rear swingarm skid (hit a lot of rocks), maybe full belly skid while I am at it.

I love 400ex's. They're so light that reverse really isn't needed IMO.
I am finding that too, though it would be nice instead of planning where I stop so I don't have to back it manually.

You can't ride on your own property unless you own over 40 acres.
That is fawking crazy!!!1 :/self:

wank

unknown entity
VIP
- soliciting acts of prostitution while on an off-road vehicle and/or acquiring, attempting to acquire, or transporting a controlled substance on an off-road vehicle;

now that's just stoopid......it's already illegal...

Socrates Rules

Sage
VIP
Socrates, do any mods to yours? I am planning nerf bars, rear swingarm skid (hit a lot of rocks), maybe full belly skid while I am at it.
I am finding that too, though it would be nice instead of planning where I stop so I don't have to back it manually.
That is fawking crazy!!!1 :/self:
No mods, was stock, the swingarm skid would have been nice, have the 700 now.