• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

3D printing

Qckslvr

succomb to the madness
Staff member
VIP
A few months ago I picked up a Creality CR10S Pro. I have since replaced the bowden style feed to a Bondtech direct drive system. I am also running a modified mash up of Tiny Machines, Creality, and Bondtech‘s firmware on it. So far it has been a fun learning experience. Been making some Arduino projects, and I ventured into my first Raspberry 4 project as well. Made a counter top arcade running retro-pi.

Any one here dabble with 3D printing? Printers have certainly gotten affordable these days.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I had no idea how much work was involved in 3D printing, I doubt I will ever bother with it at this point.

Ralph

VIP
Hardware for 3D printing and laser engraving/cutting has gotten so inexpensive that it's not worth investing in the equipment for anything other than hobby work, unless you have a specific job for it. There's way too much competition out there.

Qckslvr

succomb to the madness
Staff member
VIP
True, there are many companies out there that will print a stl or obj file for you pretty cheap. I mainly got the printer for something to nerd out on. There is a bit of learning curve. The very first test print came out in pure perfection, but when I loaded my own stl file the fail was epic. Took my 4 prints before I got it to finish a print without making a rats nest, and another 3 prints to perfect it. But I learned a lot about feed rates, temperature settings, print speeds, and retraction rates.

I print mostly with PLA, and have ventured to PETG (stronger than PLA but not as strong as ABS). I want to learn to print the flexible materials, then I can make tires for projects. I Have printed with wood also which is really cool. Made a custom jewelry box for the wife.

even made some nerf guns with it :) does those count as a new fire arm? :jump: They are 140 FPS dual motor semi automatics based off of a Mauser and Desert Eagle.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
That’s cool shit

What did your printer run you

Qckslvr

succomb to the madness
Staff member
VIP
$550 on sale with free shipping. I bought a slicing program called Simplify 3D for $120 to go with it. But there are many 3D slicers that are free and work just as well. One of them is called Cura.