• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Affiliate Links Box

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The new "Affiliates & Important Links" box appears below the navbar on every page.

These links are to top JUOT affiliate sites. Any purchases made on these sites (Amazon, eBay, and the like) will earn money for JUOT.

I have added this box a reminder for those who buy products online to please do so after following a link from JUOT.

This is necessary as the hosting cost for JUOT has increased from $25 a month to $115 a month for hosting only - not counting other costs such as domain registrations and software license fees.

We have money in the bank to get us through the better part of a year however we are no longer taking in more money then I have to spend to keep the site alive in the long term.

Besides forum subscriptions our next largest regular income is from money generated by affiliate links. On average about $50 a month has been coming from sales linked to Amazon and eBay. This is good however I know we could do a lot better. Quite frankly 50% of that $50 is probably from my own Amazon purchases in any given month.

I know people out there are constantly making online purchases and most major retailers can earn us some money simply by following a link from JUOT.

I realize the loading of the images may be annoying to many people.

If you go to the User CP -> Edit Options -> Affiliate & important links display? (near the bottom) you can change between the full images (default), Text Only links, or completely disabling the box. (However you must be an Ultra-Premium member to completely disable the box.)

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
To fill up some space I also included links to the official JUOT Facebook Page and Twitter accounts. This is where you can find info if the site ever goes offline again.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Why change everything due to one "attack"?

I may be in the minority in saying lets just keep our costs low instead of greatly increasing our costs. What are the odds of another attack? Most forums are fine on the cheaper service correct?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Why change everything due to one "attack"?

I may be in the minority in saying lets just keep our costs low instead of greatly increasing our costs. What are the odds of another attack? Most forums are fine on the cheaper service correct?
It was 3 attacks, not one. I have no reason to think they would have stopped.

Web hosts aren't in the business of keeping sites online that get DoS'ed- it hurts all the sites on their server.

If we did nothing they would have simply left us offline for days/weeks at a time.

1'st DoS attack - offline for 24 hours

2nd DoS attack - offline for 48 hours

3rd DoS attack - you see the pattern

Eventually they just say thanks but no thanks, not worth the money to keep a site under attack on their servers.

neevo

Limey Hippo
Damn, just had a glitch and thought another DDoS was under way.

Anyway

Joe

Does your Amazon link work with Amazon.co.uk?
I buy a lot off them laterly and if the link applies I'll use it, but it is pointless if it doesnt! :beerchug: