• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Amazon Echo

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
==========================================
AMAZON
ECHO
==========================================

Many of you have asked to
use Amazon Echo and IFTTT together and, today, we¿re taking the first step
forward ¿ you can now create IFTTT recipes using Echo¿s Shopping and To-do
Lists.

IFTTT stands for "IF This, Then That" and is a service that connects
your favorite devices, apps, and websites with simple rules called ¿recipes¿.
Below are examples of how you can use IFTTT with Echo.

Someone forget the
shopping list?
If you ask ¿Alexa, what's on my Shopping List", then your
Shopping List will be emailed to them.

Using Todoist, Evernote, or OneNote
to stay organized?
If you ask ¿Alexa, add [an item] to my To-do List¿, then it
will be added to the selected app.

To get started:
1. Sign in to
Put the internet to work for you. - IFTTT
2. Activate the Amazon Alexa channel:
Connect Amazon Alexa to anything - IFTTT
3. Start using existing recipes or
creating your own

Stay tuned - Echo will add more ways to use IFTTT triggers
soon.

As always, the Amazon Echo team looks forward to your feedback via the
Amazon Echo App and on social media (#AmazonEcho).
New functionality...

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Got ours yesterday.

First impressions......pretty cool device.
Needs more updates. One thing that annoys me is not being able to delete things via voice off of your shopping list.

I am starting to mess around with IFTTT and iHeart, etc.
I am also going to install a few light bulbs and switches as well.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Google Calendar Support

Now you can quickly access
your Google calendar events with Echo--just use your voice. If you want to know
what's on the calendar for the day or check if you're free for dinner with
friends, simply ask Echo.

To get started, link a Google Calendar within
Settings in the Amazon Echo app. Once your calendar has been added, here are
some questions you can ask:

- "Alexa, what's on my calendar today?"
-
"Alexa, what's on my calendar tomorrow at 9PM?"
- "Alexa, what's on my calendar
Saturday?"
- "Alexa, when's my next event?"

We will be adding even more
calendar features over the coming weeks. As always, we look forward to your
feedback via the Amazon Echo app and on social media (#AmazonEcho). You can also
follow @AmazonEcho on Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest news and updates
for Echo.
Amazon Echo (amazonecho) | Twitter

Mine is supposed to arrive before the 4th, still shows as not shipped. It really needs to get here on time, as of the 8th I will not have an address.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
My make or break feature will be if they add capability for reading audible books. My plan was to get this for my mother who's losing her sight to macular degeneration. She has always been a big reader, and this has created a large whole in her ability to keep herself occupied. She's not tech savvy, so most current audible options aren't really viable. But an appliance like this that she could simply ask to read a book to her would be life changing.
Latest Echo update:

Now you can listen to audiobooks from Audible with Echo. Audiobooks offer a great way to enjoy your favorite books while relaxing, cooking, or spending time together with family.

Listening to audiobooks from your Audible library is easy. Here's how:
•Start any book you own with "Alexa, read [Audible book title]"
•Resume the current book you're reading by saying "Alexa, read my book."
•Control playback with "Alexa, go back/forward."

Just keep rubbing it in. Mine didn't show up, but I did get an e-mail saying it has been delayed until the 12th. I changed my address in Amazon to reflect my Dad's place, but I'm going to have to call them and make sure they deliver it there.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Out of the blue yesterday the echo said (not a direct quote): "Your Amazon Echo has received a software update. It will be unavailable for a few minutes while the update is applied."

Random.

She never alerted to updates before.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Out of the blue yesterday the echo said (not a direct quote): "Your Amazon Echo has received a software update. It will be unavailable for a few minutes while the update is applied."

Random.

That was the SkyNet upload.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP

Random.

Pretty soon you're laser eye will be installed without your knowledge.

Got my Echo yesterday (actually, my wife's Echo, I bought it as a gift). Attached to her phone and my Prime membership.

It's pretty damn neat. We are just scratching the surface, learning what it can do. She hasn't attached her Pandora account yet or anything like that. Just Prime music and the basic stuff that it does without any attached accounts/services. Makes me want to go buy a bunch of MeMo stuff (when I have a house to live in that is).

If they come out with another model without a speaker that you attach to your own stereo system I'll buy one immediately. This one sounds pretty good, at least at low/med volume, but it would be nice to have it play through a "real" stereo.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Audible is expensive as hell. I looked to add that so I could listen to those instead of watching TV in my office, but that shit's a little too high.

Audible is expensive as hell. I looked to add that so I could listen to those instead of watching TV in my office, but that shit's a little too high.
Heh heh, that's one of the first things I looked into as well... Then I saw the price of the books!!!! Using game of thrones as an example, $5 for the e-book, as low as $6.74 for paperback, $32 for the audible version. Pass....

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Heh heh, that's one of the first things I looked into as well... Then I saw the price of the books!!!! Using game of thrones as an example, $5 for the e-book, as low as $6.74 for paperback, $32 for the audible version. Pass....
Right? They need to work on that. $15/mo membership, but I don't know how/if that affects the book prices because I'm not willing to sign up to find out.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Awesome - thanks for the info 'bammer.

I was only looking at Audible because my Echo would read it to me.
You'll need a library card. You have libraries there, don't you? :rotflmao:

**** your dumbass echo. You paid for amazon to spy on you LOL. Do you even bluetooth bro?

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
You'll need a library card. You have libraries there, don't you? :rotflmao:

**** your dumbass echo. You paid for amazon to spy on you LOL. Do you even bluetooth bro?
Yeah, but they're mostly filled with coloring books :jump: