• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Amazon Echo

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
Latest Echo update:

Now you can listen to audiobooks from Audible with Echo. Audiobooks offer a great way to enjoy your favorite books while relaxing, cooking, or spending time together with family.

Listening to audiobooks from your Audible library is easy. Here's how:
•Start any book you own with "Alexa, read [Audible book title]"
•Resume the current book you're reading by saying "Alexa, read my book."
•Control playback with "Alexa, go back/forward."
Thanks, guess I need to pick one up now and test for ease of use. :thup2:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
You'll need a library card. You have libraries there, don't you? :rotflmao:

**** your dumbass echo. You paid for amazon to spy on you LOL. Do you even bluetooth bro?
I realized tonight that it's legit spying on us, despite Amazon's claims that it doesn't always listen. Anna and I have both gotten targeted advertising lately about shit that neither of us have looked at on any device -- just shit we talked about when near the Echo.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I realized tonight that it's legit spying on us, despite Amazon's claims that it doesn't always listen. Anna and I have both gotten targeted advertising lately about shit that neither of us have looked at on any device -- just shit we talked about when near the Echo.
Serious allegations... also I'm sure unfounded. That would make news if it was true. Plus Amazon and Google don't talk, most targeted advertising comes from Google. Where are you seeing these ads?

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Anna...Alexa....?

Call :wifey: Toots instead and see if it stops.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Serious allegations... also I'm sure unfounded. That would make news if it was true. Plus Amazon and Google don't talk, most targeted advertising comes from Google. Where are you seeing these ads?
Serious assumptions...also I'm sure unfounded. You're one of those people that absolutely KNOWS they're smarter than everyone they're talking to, aren't you?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Serious assumptions...also I'm sure unfounded. You're one of those people that absolutely KNOWS they're smarter than everyone they're talking to, aren't you?
No. But what you're saying is equivalent almost to saying Microsoft uses your credit card number to bill you for products you didn't order.

I'm sorry that I can't take your word for it that you uncovered the biggest scandal in technology since... ever? I'm not even sure.

I need more details then you talked about something and you saw targeted advertising for it.

What did you talk about? Where did you see targeted advertising? How long between the time you spoke about it did the ads appear?

Is not the simpler explanation that you subconsciously noticed an advertisement first which caused you to talk about the subject without even realizing why you talked about it, and then you noticed the advertisement the next time you saw it?

I'm perfectly willing to put your theory to the test if you can provide details over where I should look for these ads?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Added ability to set multiple timers and alarms. However if you need to cancel any early you need to do that via the app. Previously you were limited to 1 countdown timer and 1 alarm.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Alexa now has 3 "skills" (the first of more to come) that can be enabled in the Skills section of the Echo App.

The first skill is a "crystal ball" which best I can tell is just a verbal "Magic-8 ball." You think or ask a question and it gives you a random yes/no type answer.

Alexa, launch Crystal Ball.
Alexa, ask Crystal Ball for the answer.
Alexa, ask Crystal Ball if I will win the lottery.
The second is more interesting- a math game where you have to provide the next number in a sequence. However when I tried it, it was spitting out numbers too fast for me to really process. I think you need to be some kind of savant to be able to figure this out.

Alexa, open Math Puzzles.
Alexa, ask Math Puzzles to play a game.
Alexa, launch Math Puzzles and play the next game.
The third has the most potential, it connects with StubHub to find events going on during the weekend or on a specific date. You have to set your location in the app.

Alexa, ask StubHub what’s happening this weekend.
Alexa, ask StubHub what’s going on tonight.
Alexa, ask StubHub what’s happening in San Francisco.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Still seeing suggested items on Amazon.com that I've never searched online, but have talked to the wife about. I'm still sure it's unfounded.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Introducing Sleep Timers!
Snooze your favorite music or audiobook using sleep timers. Just ask "Alexa, set a sleep timer for 30 minutes."

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I just tried out the sleep timer for fun last night and was using the 'Ocean Waves' as a test. Worked just fine.
I am starting to play around with IFTTT and am looking at some home automation light switches to play with.
I already have a Nest that you can supposedly use IFTTT to hook into.....need to look into it.

So far we are both happy with it.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
A bunch of new skills over the last few weeks... games, an app to alert people by text message or phone when you trigger it... and a Bible App.

Ardvark

Does anyone have the lightswitches

Also can I I just say..Alexa play acdc channel on pandora and it will play?

Ardvark

Does the calendar and todo list synch with the iPhone ones or do I have to start using their app for those things

Can I send a text through it.

Where do you guys keep yours, I need one in kitchen and one in bedroom

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Don't have the light switches.

You can say "Play Summer Wind by Frank Sinatra" and if it's in Amazon's Prime music library or your personal library (you uploaded to Amazon) it will play.

Yes if you add your Pandora account you can say "Play [channel name] on Pandora"

Same for iHeartRadio.

More than likely you can say to play the name of a real terrestial radio station and it can find a feed for it too.

As far as I know it does not support apple's calendar, there is some support for Google Calendar.

Keep it on the kitchen counter so it is easily heard in kitchen, living room, and dining room.