• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Amazon Echo

Ardvark

It's for my wife. She doesn't need a other toy in the bedroom (insert dildo joke here) she needs an assistant. I guess I'll download the app and play around with it. But siri and Alexa have to share information

Ardvark

Well you can't use app without connecting to echo.
Can you add stuff to list and calendar when not around echo

Ardvark

I'm going to be very very very angry if the FBI is listening to my echo. What a waste of time and money to see the boring things that we do in our lives

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Now through January 4th you can ask Alexa to "Read A Christmas Carol From Audible" to show off audible books. It's not read in Alexa's voice, it's just a stream of the audible book.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Two new Alexa enabled devices...

The Amazon Tap which is portable but doesn't always listen for the word "Alexa" you have to "tap" it before talking to it.

And what looks to be a smaller version of the original with the much requested option for external speakers, in fact it's designed to use external speakers but it does have a small one built in external isn't available. This is called the Echo Dot.

mnLiberty

JUOT
VIP
I bought one last week.... may or may not keep it. Will give it a test run for the next three weeks. Already like the music on demand from prime, panadora and my local radio stations. Nice to hear the weather forecast for any place without having to do a search. It was accurate for my commute times- one with a serious traffic delay. Have used alarm and timers and last night I tested the kindle books- really is awful as it has no real intonation changes etc. when reading the book. Also tested with some of the whisper audio books- that is awesome. Listened to a couple hours of a book while working last night.

What are others doing with theirs?

Oh, and going to change the name- thinking of using Bob.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Oh, and going to change the name- thinking of using Bob.
You can't change the name to Bob. There are only 3 options: Alexa, Amazon, or Echo.

Plus how could you have a Bob with a feminine voice?

Apparently changing names isn't trivial because it's always listening for the the trigger word.

mnLiberty

JUOT
VIP
You can't change the name to Bob. There are only 3 options: Alexa, Amazon, or Echo.

Plus how could you have a Bob with a feminine voice?

Apparently changing names isn't trivial because it's always listening for the the trigger word.
Didn't say I only had three name choices... you sure? And, if I can name it Bob it is going to be fawking Bob with a female voice.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Anyone have an Echo Dot? I'm curious if you can change the volume by saying "Volume Up" or "Volume 5" like the regular Echo? If so I may pick one up and use it on my Bose Wave radio, looking for some better music playing than the Echo, even though it's a good speaker it's just one speaker.

I'd ask on Amazon but since you can only buy the dot through the Echo there's no reviews or questions like a traditional amazon item.

Amazon.com Echo Dot

Toney Marconi

Fat, drunk, and stupid
VIP
Anyone have an Echo Dot? I'm curious if you can change the volume by saying "Volume Up" or "Volume 5" like the regular Echo? If so I may pick one up and use it on my Bose Wave radio, looking for some better music playing than the Echo, even though it's a good speaker it's just one speaker.

I'd ask on Amazon but since you can only buy the dot through the Echo there's no reviews or questions like a traditional amazon item.

Amazon.com Echo Dot
Why don't you just ask your regular Echo :puzzled:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I ordered a dot, it told me it was out of stock and expected to be delivered by July 27th. Usually things ship quicker than the date Amazon gives, we'll see.