• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Amazon Echo

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Amazon's going Echo crazy with an Amazon Echo for your car, teamed up with Garmin to provide navigation, and other Echo functions.
Pass......

I already have a nav unit in the car and don't want to use up cell data for this.
If there was a way for it to use the voice function to play music on command from my 128GB USB stick that's plugged into my head unit, I might bite. That would be kind of cool and useful for me.

Pass - I'd have AppRadio/Android Auto head units that my phone connects to. Google Assistant voice control and a real screen to display maps or whatever else you are wanting to do. For that matter, even without connecting to a head unit I'd rather just use my phone and a window or vent mount.

I get why people want Echos, I have 2. I don't get why anyone with a smartphone would rather use this garmin echo thing in their car instead of their phone. Google Assistant is arguably better than Alexa. The original "OK Google" commands should do everything you'd want or need while driving. I'm not an iPhone person but I'm assuming Siri has all the functionality someone would need in a car. An echo in your car just seems pointless.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Alexa - what do you want to be when you grow up?

I want to be the computer on the starship Enterprise.

:jump:
Mine said

I want to be the computer on Star Trek.

Did yours really say that or just remembering slightly off?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Woo! New setting called "Follow up mode."

With this enabled Alexa will listen for 5 additional seconds (with blue light on) after the end of one request for you to ask another question without saying the wake word.

If you're done asking questions you can stop her from listening by saying "Thank You." (Also other things like "stop" or "cancel.")

The setting is right near the option to change the wake word in the settings for each device.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I just changed out our first gen Echo with the new Echo Show yesterday.

Didn't have to change anything, except pair it with my network.
All my home automation stuff just still worked.

I'll be messing around with it this weekend and seeing how well I like the touch screen interface and trying out a few recipe things on screen to see how well they work.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
You can now donate directly to charity with Amazon Alexa...

I wasn't going to post this but there are about 50 charities you can donate to right now including one rifle & pistol club... Might cause some RARRR! for a family member that didn't secure their Alexa with a pin code to prevent "accidental" purchases.

https://pay.amazon.com/us/alexadonations

Ardvark

Bought the spot for in the kitchen. Like it so far. Hoping to switch over lifting and install nest thermostat soo

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
How is that displayed on thermostat

I have a different console for the weather station in the kitchen.
The T-Stat gets stuff locally from inside and gets the outside information over one of my wireless network connections via zipcode area.

So far I have been very happy with both the Honeywell and the Ambient, and surprisingly they are usually within .2 degrees of each other and the humidity numbers are usually all spot on with each other.