• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Bay boating (Chesapeake)

Avid

:avid:
VIP
So I wanna buy a boat. I grew up at the lake, and we always had access to them. Usually ski boats or pontoons. My kids are 3/9 and I'm bored sitting at the house and want to get back on the water. Nearest lakes are about 2 hours away (Deep Creek, Raystown), and a 3rd is about 2.5 (Lake Anna). BUT the bay is like an hour from here.

I'm looking for a ~23 ft cuddy cabin, V8 stern drive. Not sure I want a full cruiser, as the kids will get bigger and want to tube and ski. I figured I'd look for a mid to late 90s (~$10k) and maybe move up to something bigger down the road if I need to. I figure the cuddy would give the ability to get out of the sun and possibly spend the night on it. Would this be a decent size for bay use? I'd still like to use the lakes too and really don't want to oversize it too much.

I can haul whatever, that's not a concern. Storing it likely here at the house, alongside of the garage as it won't fit inside it until I get the garage made bigger :D

Any suggestions?

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
A boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by wood or fiberglass, into which one pours money.

You think Jeeps are good at wasting money? Just wait...

Avid

VIP
Where do you suggest Russ? I honestly just miss spending the day on the water. The nothing to do sounds ok honestly. But figure if I get something big enough I could make a day or two of it, or always rent a slip and stay at a hotel.

As for cost, duh. If it rolls, floats or f--ks, it's expensive. But all 3 are fun to do :D

Bart Giamatti

Where do you suggest Russ? I honestly just miss spending the day on the water. The nothing to do sounds ok honestly. But figure if I get something big enough I could make a day or two of it, or always rent a slip and stay at a hotel.

As for cost, duh. If it rolls, floats or f--ks, it's expensive. But all 3 are fun to do :D
most of the access to the northern Bay is serious back river shit. It opens up by the second county, if you're driving 95 from PA

Aberdeen (APG) used to conduct fire drills. Passage thru certain parts at certain times every day was off limits. That may be way old rules.

any hotel you get in Cecil or Harford counties will be pure nasty shit. Havre De Grace would probably be your first good option on the upper west side of the bay. More options as you approach the Essex area. Thats the best I can describe the upper west of the bay. The eastern shore must be desolate. I've seen Chestertown. Unless you want to go down the east side all the way to the Bay Bridge, there isnt shit.

go to joppatowne. just dont call it joe pa :njump:

Last edited:

Avid

VIP
Teehee

1995 Sea Ray 220. It's a bow rider but for the price I'm not complaining. Picked it up for $8k from a fire company who had it donated. 345 hours on merc 350. Decent shape for its age.

Took it out Saturday at Deep Creek and Sunday at Raystown.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Avid

VIP
The 07 and a half? That was the first year Dodge put the 6.7 CTD in it. He had so many issues, it was sad. I do miss my 5.9 that I could roll coal in, but it ate transfer cases
It was awesome when it got deleted. That thing was a tank, plus the smarty tuner and southbend clutch. I think it was estimated at 800 hp and 1500 lbs torque when I had it tuned up. I sold it back around 2015 for like $23k.

Last year I bought a 2006 F350 that's almost identical. CCLB, SLT. 210k miles on it, but was rebuilt, studded and deleted by a diesel shop here. I picked it up for $13k. It's not as strong as the 6.7, but I paid cash for it :D

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
It was awesome when it got deleted. That thing was a tank, plus the smarty tuner and southbend clutch. I think it was estimated at 800 hp and 1500 lbs torque when I had it tuned up. I sold it back around 2015 for like $23k.

Last year I bought a 2006 F350 that's almost identical. CCLB, SLT. 210k miles on it, but was rebuilt, studded and deleted by a diesel shop here. I picked it up for $13k. It's not as strong as the 6.7, but I paid cash for it :D
How many more months to you have to rebuild that Ford again? 2? 3?

:jump: