• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Beta Test: Access JUOT via Instant Messenger (AIM)

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'm helping Max from AMB test his latest creation, an IM Interface for vBulletin forums. I played around with it myself and it's interesting- not sure of the practical use but maybe for mobile users? I don't know, but it's here if you want to try it out. He says he uses it at work because he can have IM open but not whole web pages so maybe that can help some of you?

Go to your User CP -> Edit Options
About halfway down is "vBulletinBot Settings" Put in your Screen-name that you will be using, this will link the screen name to your account. If you want to get IM notification when a subscribed thread is replied to then check the box.

It currently will work only with AOL Instant Messenger, I don't have a Google Talk account.

The AOL Screen Name to communicate with is: JUOTBot

To communicate with it you send various commands via IM, the full list is here:
http://code.google.com/p/vbulletinbot/wiki/Instructions

But to get you started use:

• lf - list forums
  • / - go to forum root

It will list forums and threads by number, you reply to the IM with the number (and only the number) of the forum/thread/post you want to browse or use one of the other commands to go back to forum browsing.

When listing posts with "lp" you can use things like "lp 2" and "lp 3" to go to various pages. You can also use "lp x y" to see page x of y posts a page so like "lp 1 10" to see the first page, 10 posts per page. You can also use "lt" i the same way when listing threads.

A couple of other useful commands:

• whereami - show your current forum and thread location
  • whoami - shows your vbulletin user info

Also 'nt' makes a new thread in your current forum. it will prompt you for a thread title, then the post, then a confirmation you want to post it. The only limitation here is that threads posted to the network forum won't replicate to the other forums so try to avoid that.

This is just being tested, it is not considered stable software but in my use has worked well enough. Incidentally if you're also an AMB member you can make the same setting change in your usep cp there and IM AMBBot.

If you come across any errors or need help lets keep it all in this thread so Max doesn't have to look all over- the main point of this is to find possible bugs before he releases it publicly.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Seems like a lot of work and bullshit to remember when I can just open Tapatalk...
True.. it's only useful to some... the lingo is easy to get used to in this text-centric world of ours. I see a database error from you- were you playing with it?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
yeah I just got ANOTHER error from you... weird... did you accidently post twice or was that part of the error?

Ralph

VIP
yeah I just got ANOTHER error from you... weird... did you accidently post twice or was that part of the error?
Sorta both. It was part of the error... I tried to post, got the DB error, hit back, and tried to post again... got another DB error. So I went back to the thread, refreshed, and both posts were there.

[edit]And in making this post, I just got another one.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Yooper- I just tested with your account... if you get db errors outside this thread please let me know!

Max Power

Joe's Legs
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks guys! As Joe mentioned, this is still in the testing stage and may have very little practical use. One goal is to hook the IM bot up to text messages, so you can communicate via text messages with the board. Anyway, thanks for playing around with it!

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Here is a sample log of me checking a couple posts so you get an idea how it looks/works.

BirdOPrey5:: /
juotbot:
Subforums in `INDEX`
1. *Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
2. *Joe's Ultimate On Topic
3. Forum Support & Administration

BirdOPrey5:: 1
juotbot:
Subforums in `Joe's Ultimate Off Topic`
1. Off Topic Light
2. *Off Topic
3. The Learned Garden
4. The VIP Lounge
5. *The Champagne Room
6. Networked Forum
7. A-Holes Anonymous
8. The Board Room

BirdOPrey5:: 2
juotbot:
Subforums in `Off Topic`
No subforums
BirdOPrey5:: lt
juotbot:
Threads in `Off Topic`
Page 1 of 7588 (5 per page)
1. *Sunday check in (4) - Today 9:18AM by JeepinDan
2. *Greetings from Scotland! (7) - Today 9:17AM by JeepinDan
3. *Decent 4-seater drop top (53) - Today 9:12AM by Hubjeep
4. I loathe bendy straws. (12) - Today 9:09AM by Hubjeep
5. Where'd everybody go? (33) - Today 9:04AM by bbo

juotbot:
Thread: Sunday check in - Today 8:52AM created by serfur1
1. "did some yard work, ni..." - Today 8:52 AM by serfur1
2. *"I just woke up a bit a..." - Today 9:11 AM by abqtj
3. *"It's been 100 everyday..." - Today 9:15 AM by serfur1
4. *"Still fairly early her..." - Today 9:18 AM by JeepinDan

juotbot:
did some yard work, nice 80 degree day, a little breeze on the porch, Heineken mini keg tapped, 10 or so friends on the way, enchiladas ready to go in the oven, sleepercar on the ipod. Doesn't get much better. :beerchug:
Post #1 Today 8:52 AM by serfur1
juotbot:
I just woke up a bit ago...sore.

Gotta run some errands in a bit before it gets hot, then nothing for the rest of the day.
Post #2 Today 9:11 AM by abqtj
BirdOPrey5:: 3
juotbot:
It's been 100 everyday, but a bunch of storms rolled in yesterday over the mountains to the North and has cooled everything off.

I bet you're sore, drink lots of chocolate milk and eat some bananas.
Post #3 Today 9:15 AM by serfur1
BirdOPrey5:: 4
juotbot:
Still fairly early here.

Some chores today and later I'll go to the local fair. It's gonna be hot (the weather, not the fair).
Post #4 Today 9:18 AM by JeepinDan
BirdOPrey5:: lt
juotbot:
Threads in `Off Topic`
Page 1 of 7588 (5 per page)
1. Sunday check in (4) - Today 9:18AM by JeepinDan
2. *Greetings from Scotland! (7) - Today 9:17AM by JeepinDan
3. *Decent 4-seater drop top (53) - Today 9:12AM by Hubjeep
4. I loathe bendy straws. (12) - Today 9:09AM by Hubjeep
5. Where'd everybody go? (33) - Today 9:04AM by bbo

juotbot:
Thread: Greetings from Scotland! - Today 8:58AM created by Canadian_gal
1. "Just arrived in Kirkwa..." - Today 8:58 AM by Canadian_gal
2. "who are you?" - Today 9:06 AM by bbo
3. "Your digging for the L..." - Today 9:07 AM by BirdOPrey5:
4. "is that for school or ..." - Today 9:11 AM by abqtj
5. ":ttiwwop:" - Today 9:11 AM by Hubjeep

BirdOPrey5:: 5
juotbot:
:ttiwwop:
Post #5 Today 9:11 AM by Hubjeep
BirdOPrey5:: 6
juotbot:
:disagree: She's going to see family.
Post #6 Today 9:14 AM by Yooper
BirdOPrey5:: 7
juotbot:
I hope you have a good time there!

And yeah, I hope you find something exciting, but if this dig is like most - probably not. It could still be rewarding even without.
Post #7 Today 9:17 AM by JeepinDan

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
To anyone trying this I upgraded the beta version so you have to re-enter your username in User CP -> Edit Options to continue using this.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Had to reinstall again Yooper you may need to re-add your IM name again - not sure if it stayed through the reinstall. But should be working now/again.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
For anyone ineterested Max has fixed the time stamps and such and also now you can see bb code (just the codes, not rendered) but this is good to see quotes. To see a post with bb code put a "b" after the post number- examples:
2 b
3 b
etc...

Also a big update is that posts larger than 1024 characters now are sent over multiple PM's instead of bugging out.:pirate: