• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Creating a Forum...

Crazy Hawk

Willbillys
I am interested in putting a forum on a video-oriented website currently in construction. Would it be hard to add a simple, 3 sub-forum forum to a basic website? And what about pricing? Any help would be great...

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
If you've never used a forum before I strongly suggest looking at what is available from your current web host... most have 1 or more available to be auto installed... my favorite of the free forums is phpbb... vbulletin is probably the best out there, but you have to buy or lease license, around $100 / yr or so...

The real issue is the performance of the webhost... a place like powweb.com might have really crappy service- it all depends on the speed / reliabilit of their database, usually mysql, that the forum is using.

In terms of the forum size, whether it's 1 or 3 or 100 subforums that's all rather easy.

Crazy Hawk

Willbillys
Thanks. I think I'm going with "siteground.com." I've read good reviews with them. The forum is just an idea. I want a way for visitors to comment, even anonymously.

Frank Grimes

MarkR is obsessed with me
Ultra-Premium
It looks to me like the key to your website is video. If that is the case, you are going to want to do a LOT of research. If you are going to host a lot of video my guess is you will use something like PHPMotion. Your webhost is going to need to support ffmpeg and mencoder and not all do. The board will be a secondary concern.

Crazy Hawk

Willbillys
It looks to me like the key to your website is video. If that is the case, you are going to want to do a LOT of research. If you are going to host a lot of video my guess is you will use something like PHPMotion. Your webhost is going to need to support ffmpeg and mencoder and not all do. The board will be a secondary concern.
Right now I am only embedding video from Vimeo. It's working very well thus far but I haven't published it yet...