• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Dell Inspiron 3185

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
This POS takes the award for the absolute worst piece of junk I've ever had the displeasure of touching. My in-laws bought it and gave it to me. This thing is unusable. It's brand new with an AMD proc and 4gb of RAM. It takes like 20 minutes to boot up and struggles to even open Google Chrome. It's been doing Windows updates for the last 45 minutes. Brand new out of the box and completely unusable. Unsure why they don't want to return it to Best Buy.

I may try to slap an SSD in it, but I honestly think my Raspberry Pi 3 is more powerful and usable.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Microsoft surface laptop has been my favorite yet. Boots up in 2 seconds. Very stable and usable.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Microsoft surface laptop has been my favorite yet. Boots up in 2 seconds. Very stable and usable.
Those cost a bit more than $2-300, but I'd still expect the product to be usable at this price point. This is absolute garbage.

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
Its CPU is about as fast as a Core2 from 2008 in single thread and it's a 5400rpm hard drive. If you want a $300 laptop you can get a used i7 that'll handle anything.

But to be fair, let it fully complete all the Windows updates. Keep clicking the update button when it's done. And get rid of the factory bloatware. Once it's settled down it'll be a lot faster. Just not, you know, fast.

John

Transplant
VIP
I have a shitty Asus laptop that I paid like $400 for a few years back. I rarely use it, so I wasn’t too worried about the specs. Anyway, it was pretty terrible but since I reformatted it and got rid of all the bloatware it’s a lot better. Especially, if I use it occasionally and it’s reasonably updated on updates.

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
AMD used to compete well with Intel but in the last 3-4 years, especially in laptops, they SUCK. absolutely horrible. I won't buy another one.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Those cost a bit more than $2-300, but I'd still expect the product to be usable at this price point. This is absolute garbage.
Yes, a lot more than that. I wouldn’t expect anything in that price range to be okay.

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
A6 processor is 3-4 generations old, and not exactly a performance unit.

Set the power setting for performance and turn off all of the windows animation should help, at least get it usable.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'd expect to at least be able to browse the web. Turned off superfetch. Cloned to SSD, and turned off caching. SSD is too thick though. May get another, may let it ride

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
This POS takes the award for the absolute worst piece of junk I've ever had the displeasure of touching. My in-laws bought it and gave it to me. This thing is unusable. It's brand new with an AMD proc and 4gb of RAM. It takes like 20 minutes to boot up and struggles to even open Google Chrome. It's been doing Windows updates for the last 45 minutes. Brand new out of the box and completely unusable. Unsure why they don't want to return it to Best Buy.

I may try to slap an SSD in it, but I honestly think my Raspberry Pi 3 is more powerful and usable.
SSD will make an insane improvement. Put windows 10 pro on and kick it up to 16gb of ram and you will be sane again.