• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

FiOS Modem/Router

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Choose to. I could pay $10/mo to "rent" but if it lasts more than a year as you can see, it's worth buying.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Choose to. I could pay $10/mo to "rent" but if it lasts more than a year as you can see, it's worth buying.
I head my first cable modem for 10 years. I only replaced it because the switched entirely to DOCSIS 3.0 and my old one didn't support it. Not to mention it supported like 5mb downstream max and my account affords twice that.

Hope to upgrade my speed once the account transfers to my wife's home. I download a lot of shit. :agree:

None of that adult stuff anymore though. No need. :brows:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Apparently there is no lower price for buying your own, but this model has advantages over the one they send by default... Better processor, 5GHz band as well.

New wireless network, Beaglenet, new strong password, and I'm taking full inventory of every device on the network. So far have everything positively identified except one.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I never use the built in router on a modem. Prefer to separate the concerns. Modem is the modem. Router is the router. Switch is the switch. WAP is the WAP.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I never use the built in router on a modem. Prefer to separate the concerns. Modem is the modem. Router is the router. Switch is the switch. WAP is the WAP.
You only have two choices for FiOS modems/routers, this one or the one they give you for free. On the old modem I disabled the wireless and had a separate access point for my basement (where the line comes into the house) but with this new one I got rid of the old separate access point that was outdated anyway.

My main WAP is in my living room and is a Ubiquiti UniFi Long Range Access Point that was posted here. The range is great but it sucks there is no web interface, nor can I make changes while connected wirelessly. I have to run their proprietary software to access and make changes.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The modem does have a passthru mode for running a proper router behind it? You can set up the Ubiquiti controller on another PC and web access it that way. I have no issues managing mine over wireless.