• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

First Run Gateway Drum Smoker

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Received an early birthday present Saturday.

Fired it up today...

I’m pleased with the outcome. Chicken hung under steaks. 1hr 45min on the chicken and 45min on those sirloins. Brussels sprouts too. All right around 300°-325°F (Gateway technique I guess) and sprinkled hickory chips over to coals. The bird could’ve been pulled off 15 minutes earlier. Steak was money, didn’t even need a knife.

Lulu’s poultry rub on the bird
Lulu’s steak and burger rub on one steak
Lulu’s chipotle bbq rub on the other steak

Zero issues maintaining even temps in the wind. A storm blew through and it didn’t change the temp at all. That intake system is key. Adding and removing things would change temps and I’d have to adjust the intakes. Babysitting was more me not knowing what I was doing and figuring it all out, plus seasoning the unit initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
This was my second run last weekend:

Eye of round and pork sirloin. Ate it for a week. I need an instantaneous thermometer. I wish I rotated that eye of round three times and pulled it out 10° cooler. I’ve read on a roast like that you pull it out rare and it’ll cut medium rare to rare. That one I injected with beef stock and Worcestershire. Some say to cover with kosher salt for 24 hrs to tenderize, rinse clean, inject and smoke. I figured the salt would dry it out.

I think I’m gonna smoke a few more pork sirloins tomorrow. Maybe another chicken too, IDK.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Pikes Peak Roast and 3 pork sirloins...

Smoked between 225-230°F. Was windy as hell while smoking.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Smoked a 6.5# pork shoulder roast yesterday. I tried the Gateway’s signature “hot and fast” method. So basically I ran the smoker in the upper 200s, between 270 and 290, Gateway says to roll it at 300°F even. Wrapped it in foil for the last 2 hours. Only took 4.5 hours to get to 201°F internal temperature and I let it rest until it hit 186°F. There was absolutely zero difference in the meat tenderness between the slow and low and Gateway’s hot and fast technique. The only difference I could tell is less hardness in the bark because of the wrap. But we used much less sugar on this one, so that could be a contributing factor as well.

I must’ve eaten a pound of that pulled pork yesterday.