• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Help spread the JUOT.net word: Viral Marketing Ideas

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
OK, after reading this article I got thinking about using this as a marketing tool... It is absolutely crazy how much this spread.

The aim: Let there be a WiFi network called "www.JUOT.net" everywhere you go... it doesn't have to actually work and in most cases it won't connect to anything at all- but people will see it listed as an available network and it will make them curious.

If you have a Windows XP machine and Windows is 'managing' your wireless networks this is how to setup an "Ad Hoc" network called www.JUOT.net that will broadcast itself whenever your computer is on and you're not connected to a wifi network- great if you connect via ethernet cable.

[qimg]juot_wifi_setup.png[/qimg]

1. Down by your clock double click on the wireless network icon

2. Click on Properties

3. Click on the Wireless Networks Tab

4. Click Add...

5. Set the network name to: www.JUOT.net

6. Most important step - click the box to make it an "Ad Hoc" network

7. Press OK

You're done.

The first question you should have is if this is a security risk- the answer is no- basically computers won't actually be able to establish a useful connection unless you previously bidged your wifi connection which almost no one does, or does correctly.

In practice someone will try to join your ad-hoc network, it won't work, and they move on... but now anywhere they go where they aren't connected to wifi, their computer will broadcast the www.JUOT.net network... so it spreads like a virus over and over again as almost no one ever deletes unused wifi networks from their list.

Variations

The above only works if your WiFi network isn't already being used for your regular connection... but if it is being used and you still want to help you can change the name of your WiFi network to "www.JUOT.net" to begin with, and use it as a legit wifi source that is open or private per your preferences (you should make it private for security but that goes for any wifi network).

If you have a Linksys or other common WiFi router you go to:
http://192.168.1.1 or
http://192.168.0.1 (whichever works)
one of those will ask you for a login and password, it's whatever you setup- and you can make changes to your wifi network from there. You'll have to re-connect your computers and devices that use wifi after you make any changes so be sure you don't do this if you don't know what you're doing.

Another variation - if you have an old unused wifi router you could just set it up as www.JUOT.net and plug it into power but no internet- it will do nothing but broadcast www.JUOT.net all day/night until you power it down. No secuirty risk whatsoever since it's not connected to the internet or your computer.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Just send everybody a brick of stickers, we'll attach them to anything and everything. Oh, a black hoodie would also probably be a good idea so we can conceal our identities.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I didn't include the passwords because honestly if you don't know them you probably shouldn't be messing around with your router. I don't want to have to deal with people who mess something up. The instructions for the ad-hoc won't hurt anything.

HDC

Fiercely mediocre
juot.net signs on freeway overpasses. Around here they'd be good company for the Ron Paul '08 signs.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Window stickers on kickass trucks don't work very well, apparently.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I added 50 pk and 100 pk of stickers and such, updated the banners... I know they're on the expensive side, I'm going to try and find a real sticker producer I'm sure I can get a bulk order much cheaper then cafepress.com

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
Serious question: Why? Do we really need fresh meat that badly? Is this why you opened up the forum so any surfer can view it?

I'd be willing to pitch in a few bucks towards maintaining the site rather than trying to attract new users all the time.

Frank Grimes

MarkR is obsessed with me
Ultra-Premium
I added 50 pk and 100 pk of stickers and such, updated the banners... I know they're on the expensive side, I'm going to try and find a real sticker producer I'm sure I can get a bulk order much cheaper then cafepress.com
I have a contact for you if you want it.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Serious question: Why? Do we really need fresh meat that badly? Is this why you opened up the forum so any surfer can view it?

I'd be willing to pitch in a few bucks towards maintaining the site rather than trying to attract new users all the time.
Joe would like it to grow. JUOT eats its own. We need the occasional fresh meat to feed the ravening zombies held down in the dungeon.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP

Good questions, quite frankly you guys get boring after a while.

Further even if every 'active' member paid $10 a year it wouldn'y barely, if at all, pay the bills for this place when we eventually have to go to our own server.

Last edited: