• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

I am smoking ribs today

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Done. My 12:00 meeting went a little long, so they were in longer than I had planned.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
homeboy already had smoke rolling and the fawking ribs on the goddamned smoker before asking for advice. I did the best I could to save them.
Foil is a crutch. You call yourself a pitmaster?

Yeah, and keep opening the smoker multiple times per hour to spray them because blasting them with cold air really helps them cook well. And keep that rub nice and soggy so that you don't get a nice crust.

Damn dude...rub, put them on, forget about them. And if the meat falls off the bone they are overcooked.

Here is the secret and I can't believe I'm telling you guys this...rub them with mustard before you add dry rub. Yes, mustard. Gold old plain yellow mustard. Just rub it in. Then add your dry rub. Turbinado sugar beats all other sugar. Brown sugar is an acceptable subsitute. If you use white sugar you might as well grill your ribs or cook them in the oven.

People say equal parts salt/sugar/spices but I find that too salty and tend to go 3 parts sugar, 2 parts salt, 2 parts whatever other combination of pepper, garlic, onion powder, celery seed, dry mustard, etc...

Back to the mustard - yellow works great. You can also play with flavors by using horseradish mustard (adds heat) or honey mustard (make them sweeter). I did a spicy brown chunky stuff and paired with the right rub they were amazing and had a nice heat.

Mustard on pork butt too. But not on beef. Never on beef.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Next time I shall try the mustard no-foil approach, but I have no problem using a crutch as while I may be a prize winning chili cook, I cannot claim the same for smoking.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
This man gets it.

Exactly.....
I still do the Stu (modified 3-2-1 stuff) sometimes, and I usually make my own sauces, for after.
I like to people choose their own cool/medium/hot/sweet sauces based on their own sauces.
My MIL for instance likes the Aho-SO Chinese red sauce and no spice at all.....YMMV.

As far as knives are concerned, I have some Wustof and some Henckels that I use for everyday and some other things like Kamikoto for my Japanese cooking and have been looking at a couple of other brands.
I have always been a fan of Santoku knives, They cut and slide well and are easy to sharpen. :2cents:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I find the 3-2-1 is too long for me. Don’t know if it’s elevation or my Weber Smoker, but I’ve cut it back to about 2-1:45-:45

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Turned out decent. Good texture, not falling off the bones. Would have been better with a sweeter, darker BBQ, but Stubb's is relatively low carb so I'll take it. Will try the pure smoker method next time in hopes of getting better bark.

After foil:

Finished:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Those look good. As long as you enjoy them that’s all that matters.

Still wondering what a “pork back rib”is though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Turned out decent. Good texture, not falling off the bones. Would have been better with a sweeter, darker BBQ, but Stubb's is relatively low carb so I'll take it. Will try the pure smoker method next time in hopes of getting better bark.

After foil:

Finished:
Yeah. No smoke ring. Not sure what you did to fawk these up. My ribs look alot different when they come off my smoker. I gave you my method for baby backs that most people say are the best they have ever had.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Yeah. No smoke ring. Not sure what you did to fawk these up. My ribs look alot different when they come off my smoker. I gave you my method for baby backs that most people say are the best they have ever had.
Best of New Mexico bbq.